Question

Honor Student
firedog359
Message 1 of 3 (200 Views)

Omnibook xe2 Ethernet card issue

Hello everyone,I recently aquired an older Omnibook XE2 running Windows 98 V1.I purchased it basically as a back up to an old CTX EZBook 700 that I use for programming old/vintage public safety radios and dispatch consoles. These items use DOS based software on floppies. The computer is in almost pristine,unused condition and works great. It has a built in phone modom but I wanted to connect it to my cable internet,so I purchased a 3COM EtherLink III 3C589C Lan card and dongle from a dealer on ebay and installed it. The computer installed it just fine and there are no error messages or apparent conflicts in Device Manager. It simply won't connect to the internet.There are three LED lights on the dongle for "10/100","half/full","and "ln/act".None of these light up. This is my first time installing one of these cards and I am at a loss as to where to look for the issue.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Regents Professor
SuperMario1
Message 2 of 3 (167 Views)

Re: Omnibook xe2 Ethernet card issue

Hello firedog359,

Welcome to the HP Forums! I hope you enjoy your experience!

I understand you are unable to connect to the Internet on your Windows 98 computer. I will do what I can to assist you! Also, Kudos to you for still using Windows 98!

First of all, I want to make sure you are doing it properly. Please reference the instructions on connecting to the Internet from this Microsoft document: How to Connect to the Internet in Windows 95 and Windows 98

Once you are sure you are doing it correctly, the next step is to actually troubleshoot the issue. If you try the steps in this HP document, you should be able to resolve the issue: Resolving Cable, DSL, or Other Broadband Internet Connection Problems (Windows XP, Me, and 98)

Please try these steps and let me know the results. Thanks for bringing this issue to the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
firedog359
Message 3 of 3 (165 Views)

Re: Omnibook xe2 Ethernet card issue

Thanks for the info.i went through all of this and still could not connect to the internet. I purchased another card and dongle and tried the new dongle with the old card and it connected to the internet.So the problem was in the dongle.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation