Question

Student
nighlilies
Message 1 of 6 (558 Views)

Pavilion dv9008nr wireless network connection

The wireless connection for my Pavilion dv9008nr does not turn on with the button in the front of the laptop. Also the wireless network connection does not come up when I go into the Network Connections folder, and have had to use a network cable. I've had this issue for months. A driver was downloaded for this issue months ago, it did not work, and then all of a sudden an update downloaded on it's own, and my wireless connection worked again. Now it does not connect again.

I was told there is a recall for the Motherboard for my laptop, but have searched for this recall on HP's website and have not been able to find it, does anyone know how to solve this issue?

I am not very tech-savvy, if anyone can provide an answer, please do so with simple terms.

Thank you.

Honor Student
Misheli
Message 2 of 6 (524 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv9008nr wireless network connection

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 3 of 6 (469 Views)

Hi,

Perform a Hard Reset:

1. Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices and media cards.
2. Disconnect the AC power adapter, remove the battery, and then press and hold the power button for at least 1 minute.
3. Reconnect the AC power adapter (do not connect the battery), press the Power button and check is this problem solved or not.

When this will not work then try to unmount and mount wireless card.

How to do this? Check service documentation here (page 57).

If both solutions will not work then buy USB wireless.
This is a very well know problem with nvidia chipset.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Honor Student
Misheli
Message 4 of 6 (462 Views)

Thanks, Daniel.

I have a DV9205US and tried both solutions you offered.  Since I have never attempted messing around with the inside of my computer, I want to be sure I did the right thing.  I followed the instructions on pg 59 for removing the WLAN module and replaced it.  I also saw the part with Nvidia on it and thought that was the wireless card.  But I don't see a way to remove it. My wireless connection still does not work (my computer detects no networks).  So the best solution is to just use a USB adapter?

Thanks!!

Honor Student
Misheli
Message 5 of 6 (461 Views)

Also, there are so many brands and price ranges of USB adapters, I don't know how to choose.  I am assuming the 802.11n is the one to get.

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 6 of 6 (459 Views)

Yes. This will be the best solution. It is much cheaper then replacing whole motherboard.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation