Question

Honor Student
Marshallross
Message 1 of 10 (2,151 Views)

Pavilion g7-2284nr windows 8 Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 will not run faster than 72.2 mbps

My Pavilion g7-2284nr Laptop is running Windows 8 with a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 and will not run faster than 72.2 mbps.  Trend Micro Platinum 2013 was with the system when I purchased it.  My other computers which run Windows 7, Vista and XP all run at approx. 144.4 mbps +/-.  My Router is a Cisco Linksys Factory Refurbished E1500 Wireless-N WiFi Router with SpeedBoost .  I also have a Cisco Linksys RE1000 Wireless-N Wi-Fi Range Extender/Bridge

I have tried changing the Power Settings; installed a patch from Trend Micro (Ti_60_win_en_osprey_hfb1201) which did not fix the issue; unistalled the Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 and allowed the Laptop to discover and install fresh; checked for update to Driver; probably some other things I can not remember at this point and still no effect. 

I appreciate any help I can get. 

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 2 of 10 (2,121 Views)

Re: Pavilion g7-2284nr windows 8 Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 will not run faster than 72.2 mbps

Hello Marshallross,

You’re having a problem with the speed of the internet.

It could be just the difference in the network cards.

Go to HP.com and update the Qualcomm Atheros AR9485.

Here is a link to the update. Also update the BIOS.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

Honor Student
Marshallross
Message 3 of 10 (2,106 Views)

Re: Pavilion g7-2284nr windows 8 Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 will not run faster than 72.2 mbps

anthony82,

I updated the Driver with the appropriate new one listed as well as the BIOS and rebooted, still no improvement in my Internet speed as it remains at 72.2 mbps.  BTW, the Signal Strength is 5 bars nearly all the time.  Not sure what else I can do and the issue is still only on my newest Laptop with all the other systems running at higher speeds.   If I purchase new equipment such as the dual channel extender, I do not believe it will help the issue with this HP Laptop.  Any other ideas that may help in this case?  

Oh and one other thing - I am using Chrome and trend Micro and when I attempted to open your message and implement the updates I received this message:  

Request Entity Too Large

The requested resource /t5/Wireless-Internet-Home-Networking-e-g-Windows-8/Pavilion-g7-2284nr-windows-8-Qualcomm-Atheros-AR9485-will/m-p/2536243 does not allow request data with GET requests, or the amount of data provided in the request exceeds the capacity limit.

I had to open a new Chrome browser in Stealth mode in order to get back to the Forums and the Downloads, etc.  Not sure why this occured. 

Hopeful, 

Marshallross

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 4 of 10 (2,097 Views)

Marshallross,

I did a little research for the connection on the card.

The problem is not with the router or modem; it’s with the card itself.

Go into device manager; right click on the wireless card.

Go to properties.

Go to the advanced tab.

On the right you might have an option that says value.

If you can, change the setting to 40 MHZ or auto.

This might help with the speed.

If not you might have to give HP a call and tell them that your wireless card is not working correctly.

As for the Request Entity Too Large error,

I get it every once in a while, it’s from chrome. I can usually fix it by going into chrome advanced settings and clearing browsing data.

Have a good day.

Honor Student
Marshallross
Message 5 of 10 (2,089 Views)

Anthony82,

I do have "Values" listed under the Advanced tab of the Properties for the WiFi Adapter.  There are 6 options to choose from in the Values area: 

802.11b Preamble 

AdHoc Mode 

Network Address 

Receive Buffers 

Scan Valid Interval 

Transmit Buffers 

I did not see a setting for "40 MHZ" or "auto" under these selections.   Which do I select from? 

BTW, do I select the White Kudos star on the left each time you comment, or should I wait until we have (hopefully) resolved this?   I do appreciate your time and responses, however as I am new to this Forum, I am not sure of the proper protocol.  

Best Regards, 

Marshallross 

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 6 of 10 (2,083 Views)

Marshallross,

Most of the wireless cards are set to the 20 MHz or auto by default, the 40 MHz has a faster connection speed but you can only set this on certain cards. Didn't hurt to check.

Just leave the value at the 802.11b.

I think that you need to call HP and have them replace the card. Most of the time they can send you the part in one day, and I think that it is just one screw to replace it.

Here is a link to the phone number.

Sorry we couldn't get it fixed.

For the Kudos, you can click them as many times or as often as you want. They are just a way to say thank you for replying.

Have a good day.

Student
MarshallrossVM
Message 7 of 10 (1,881 Views)

[ Edited ]

Anthony82,

I am the original / only poster for this Subject.  This will appear as a new User because it would no longer allow me to log-in with my Email address which I originally Registered with.  For some reason it now says it is too long.  30 character is the max and I registered with my Email address being 31 characters.  All of our previous discussions I was logged in with the original Email address.  ??? 

I have found that HP will do nothing with the issue of my Pavilion g7-2284nr windows 8 with a Factory Network Adapter of a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 not being able to run faster than 72.2 mbps.  The Wlan was replaced, the Laptop was sent back and they said it is running within acceptable parameters and there is nothing more they can do. 

I took the Linksys Cisco AE-1200 off my Desktop and plugged it into the USB on my HP Pavilion g7-2284nr Notebook, installed the most recent Driver (Windows 7) and set it as my default Network Adapter.  Guess what?  I immediately have a faster connection than the 72.2 max of the Qualcomm Atheros AR9485, doubling it up to 144.4!!! 

So I have a new question ... as I do not want to run the CiscoLinksys  AE-1200 sticking out of my Laptop's USB, what would you recommend I do to upgrade from the Qualcomm Atheros AR9485?  

WHEW! 

-Marshallross (MarshallrossVM) 

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 8 of 10 (1,857 Views)

MarshallrossVM,

If you need the faster speed you can upgrade the card. It’s not going to void the warranty.

If you ever need to send the system in for repair I would install the old card though.

Here is a link to your service manual that will show you the cards that are recommend for your laptop and how to change them.

Page 43.

Honor Student
Marshallross
Message 9 of 10 (1,839 Views)

Anthony82,

Thank you for continuing to work with me on this issue of a slow Wireless LAN on my Pavilion g7-2284nr.  

I did have to send the Laptop back to HP so they could test it.  They said the speed was within Manufacturer's specs and returned the unit last week.  Slow is acceptable, too bad. 

After reading your suggestion of possibly replacing the Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 using one of the alternate Wireless LAN's in the Manual, I looked at them and did a quick investigation on the Internet.   Neither of the alternatives appear to be any better by other User Reviews.  So I will not purchase them to try and probably have to send back. 

If there are no other Internal Wireless LAN alternatives that are not listed in the Manual (can I go outside the Manual for recommendations?) I guess that an External Dongle is my only alternative.  In this world of high speed Internet, and this being a brand new Laptop from HP, I am very dissapointed that I cannot get anything above 72.2 mbps using an Internal soloution.  If there is anything else you can think of, please let me know. 

Thanks again, 

-Marshallross 

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 10 of 10 (1,826 Views)

Marshallross,

I see that you got the old screen name working.

Unfortunately the cards listed in the service manual are the only ones that are supported by your current BIOS setup.

Installing any other cards would likely not let you boot into windows.

Here is a link to a post that will show you how to install other internal wireless cards by changing your BIOS settings.

Doing this is not supported by HP and if you wish to do so could void the warranty. (Post 35 or 43.)

Other possibility would be to use the dongle.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation