Problem with Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g adapter on HP laptop running Vista (24008 Views)
Top Student
markdg10
Message 1 of 28 (24,008 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problem with Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g adapter on HP laptop running Vista

I recently purchased a Linksys E2000 Router. It immediately hooked up to my wired desktop running Vista and a laptop running Windows XP.  However it had a problem hooking up to my wife's HP laptop running Vista. It would not let me hook up as a secured link but would only let me hook up as a Guest account with limited functionality. I called Linksys and they informed me that the Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g wifi adapter had compatibility issues with the Linksys E2000 and suggested I update with new drivers. I searched online but could not find a new driver.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 28 (23,997 Views)

Re: Problem with Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g adapter on HP laptop running Vista

Top Student
markdg10
Message 3 of 28 (23,992 Views)

Probably not since I haven't had to update the wireless lan drivers since I purchased her the laptop over a  year or two ago.  Since I am a bit of of novice with this type of update, do I just upload this file and voila, that's it.

Thanks,

Mark

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 28 (23,987 Views)

Hi, Mark, Yes, download and run the file. It should automatically install the drivers. Hopefully they will fix the problem you are experiencing. Paul
Top Student
markdg10
Message 5 of 28 (23,945 Views)

Paul, it worked just as you said.  The new drivers loaded and I am now attached to the secured network.  Thanks for your help.

But I do have  a follow-up question.  On both computers running Vista, (desktop: Mark-PC & laptop: Barbara-PC)  I now see the names in the Network section on the indivdual computers.  However, when I double-click the computer name to access it from the network it says it is not able to locate or access it.   It says no such name or name typed incorrectly.   Any suggestions?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 28 (23,928 Views)

Hi, Mark: You need to make sure both of your PC's have the same workgroup name (i.e. workgroup). Also you need to make sure file and printer sharing is turned on on both of the PC's or when you click on them, nothing will happen. You can also turn off password protected sharing. You may find these articles helpful in setting up your home network. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Setting-up-a-home-network http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
Top Student
markdg10
Message 7 of 28 (23,924 Views)

As always thank you Paul.   When you say same Workgroup name what does that specifically mean?  As mentioned I think the workgroup name of mine is Mark-PC and my wife's is Barbara-PC.  Is that the workgroup name?  If they need to be the same, how do I change it to say Home-PC?  How would I delete the current names and start over again?

Even with that, why do I see each one listed separately in the Network section but cannot access them?

As to printers how would I hook them up as well.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 28 (23,914 Views)

Hi: You can have your computers named differently. As a matter of fact you have to have them named differently. But the network name has to be the same for each of them. Take a look at this article which has pictures of screen shots you can clicl on to see where you give the same workgroup name to a PC. In the example they give the workgroup name as MIDDLE_EARTH http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/vista/Vista_network_options.shtml Printers...Do you have a wireless printer or is it wired. Do you have one computer where you will attach the printer to it and share the printer so the other PC can print off it? You need to have that plan before you can set up printers.
Top Student
markdg10
Message 9 of 28 (23,905 Views)

Thanks Paul.  I will read the article and follow the diagrams.  Perhaps I just hooked it up to the router, got online but never set up a home network.  I thought it was automatic when I saw the individual computer names........   (Well Duh !!!!).  I hope that's all it is.

As for the printers.  There are two "wired" printers hooked up to the desktop computer.  They are not wireless.   My wife is screaming at me to be able to print from her laptop.  How would I hook her up if possible.

Regards,

Mark

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 10 of 28 (23,893 Views)

Once you get your home network up and running and yoour computers can "see" each other, you turn on file and printer sharing on your desktop PC. Then you go to your wife's laptop and do the add a printer thing. You select add a network printer and browse for a printer. Her PC should then show the two printers you have hooked up to your PC abd she can select both or one to connect to. If she selects both, then she needs to select one of them as the default printer. In order to print, your desktop PC will have to remain on and not in standby mode. You may want to consider purchasing a wireless printer. They are relatively inexpensive and both of your PC's can access it and you wouldn't need to have your desktop PC on for your wife to print something. I just got one and I love it. You can read on printer sharing in the article I posted above. It is on the second page you click on called file sharing. Personally, I would turn off the password requirement by unchecking the radio button for it unless you are really concerned that someone will want to hack into your wireless network.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation