Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Well i just bought a Probook4520s and installed Windows 7 Professional N  32 bit on it. It has a Raling RT3090BC4 802.11n and Bluetooth 3.0 combination card. I installed the driver using HP's site

I am having trouble using the wifi

The Wifi key light remains amber (orange) no matter how many times i press it . It only turns on and off the bluetooth. I have installed the Drivers from HP's site. The wireless lan card is not visible in device maneger . It only shows the ethernet port and the bluetooth. even after choosing the show hidden devices the wlan wasnt visible

I am checked the bios by pressing F10 at the bootup screen  and Wlan and Bluetooth Combo is ticked in built in hardwares. I installed Wireless Assistance software abd it showed Bluetooth to be enabled but Wifi to be disabled saying it had been disabled by device maneger .  and i cant find it in device maneger under any of the heading

So how em i suppose to fix it

is it a software related problem .. or a faulty Wlan Card ??

Whats the sollution

i have googled it alot but cudnt find any solution that wud work in my case

i also restarted the computer in save mode

that didnt work

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

Hi,

have you tried to use a proper ralink driver? Like this one: http://www.ralinktech.com/license_us.php?n=1&p=1&t=U0wyRnpjMlYwY3k4eU1ERXhMekF4THpJeEwyUnZkMjVzYjJGa...

Uninstall the HP driver and install this one. It's the manufacturer driver and should work..

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have hp probook 4520s and installed windows 7 ultimate 64-bit. I had the same problem. The wireless button wasn't changing colour . it remained at orange colour no matter how many times i press the wireless switch button.The Combo device and wireless switch was enabled in BIOS. The Device Manager was dispalying the Wireless Adapter(BroadCom 4313 b/g/n) but the switch wasn't enabling or disabling the wireless network and the bluetooth.

I solved this problem, by uinstalling the wireless driver from device manager. then i checked for windows updates. In the optinal updates, it showed broadcom driver for wireless network, i  installed that update and the wireless switch is now working.

I also have HP wireless Assistant installed, and when i  connect  LAN, it automatically disables the Wireless Adapter, i dont know why, and then again the wireless switch doesnt work until the Ethernet cable is unplugged. I tried to Turn ON the Combo device in wireless Assisant ,but it didnt work. i.e the "TURN ON" feature is clickable but doesnt responds.

Any idea how to simultaneously enable wireless and ethernet adapter with HP wireless assistant?

Thank you for your time.

HP Recommended

Hi:

You need to go into your BIOS and in the device configuration menu change the LAN/WLAN switching setting from enabled to disabled. Press the F10 key there and again when you exit, saving settings and exit.

Now, when you plug in your wired LAN, the wireless network card will remain on.

Paul

HP Recommended

I'm sort of having the same problem here. Windows Pro 32 bit works just fine with wireless, but Ubuntu 10.04 does not. Toggling the wireless button only turns on or off bluetooth. I used to be able to hardwire it with an ethernet cable, but now even that doesn't work. I have tried installing driver packages from HP and Ralink, but it's still not working. I am incredibly frustrated.

I tried what Paul wrote above, but that didn't work either. Actually, "LAN/WLAN Switching" was already unticked when I checked the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Hello I also bought copule of weeks hp 4520s and I have problems with enabling the wifi.

I have tried the reccomendation with the BIOS but still doesnt work... 

Please give us some suggestion, the laptop is brand new and deffective, its very frustrating...

thanks,

Dragan

HP Recommended

OK i found the solution

i used HP softpaq download manager

just google it and u will get the link

it told me what drivers and software i had  missing...

turns out i needed drivers of brodcom or sum like that don't really remember the name

and using the download manager i downloaded and installed em

and wifi works  PERFECTLY

got this from yahoo answers

hope it will help every one 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi

I tried all the above after I had the same issue on my HP Probook 4520s/Win7 Ultimate. I tried reinstalling drivers, the BIOS changes, HP Wireless assistant and the Softpak Download Manager (which by the way was pretty useless).

What DID work for me was something pretty easy and it was the wireless assistant that helped. I noticed it said the the wireless adapter was disabled in the mobility center and could not be enabled from wireless assistant. So I searched on Google how to open the mobility center in Win7. Here's how:

PRESS THE WINDOWS BUTTON AND X TOGETHER. This will open the mobility center. In here among other things is the Wireless Network TURN OFF/ON button. Mine was turned to OFF and so a quick press turned it on and my light on the wireless button (next to F12) turned white again. All working. Hope it works for you.

HP Recommended

my wifi bluetooth is disconnected on my laptop i have a yellow star over the bars i dont get any wire less service i have a hp pavilion dv6-6110se i'm new to computers please use simple language thank you.

HP Recommended

my wireless button dosent change colour even if it's pressed, it still stays orange

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.