Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've just taken delivery of a Pavilion dm1-1010sa to use as a netbook, though it is a tad oversized for that.

OS is Windows 7 Premium.

When I try to connect to my wireless router, the system sees it, but won't connect.

It tells me that there is a "problem with wireless adaptor or access point" and when I check ipconfig it tells me "media disconnected".

I was on the line to HP Support when their phone system went down and it is still down for at least an hour.

I wondered if anyone else had hit this problem and found a solution?

My Toshiba laptop and iPhone work fine into the router, as do my two ethernet connected desktops.

I have reset the router anyway, but nothing works.

I need to decide whether to return the system asap, so any help welcomed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just as an update, my Toshiba NB300-108 arrived and saw and connected to my wireless router first time.

With the HP Pavilion DV1 notebook, there was not an option to replace the net card, and I don't buy hardware and software that don't work out of the box. If I want a computer game then I'll buy something specifically for the purpose.....:smileywink:

I'm happy to take any system apart and have done so with many of them since my first MS-DOS system in 1982 - but only when adding to functionality, not to make it work in the first place.

In my case at least, I do think the problem was one of defective hardware. Windows 7 works fine.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

I too am having this same problem. I'm runnin Windows 7 64 bit on my HP Pavilion Entertainment PC. The last 5 days have been very annoying. I've removed all suggested software/drivers and replaced them from the HP site and still No Luck! Wireless adapter has to be reset constantly and internet connection keeps dropping. I've gone as far as to have my computer and it's operating system wiped and then re-installed. NOTHING seems to work. I hope there is a solution to this SOON. I went from a Mac in Aug 09 to this HP and I'm starting to feel like it was a huge mistake. I haven't had this computer for 6 months and I'm already having issues.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue as well and I am running Windows 7 32 Bit.  It sees my router but cannot connect to it.  Very frustrating!

HP Recommended

I spent half a day trying to get it working on my own. I have a Toshiba laptop that runs Windows 7 happily into the router, but that had been upgraded from Vista, so I thought the problem might be an issue for Windows 7 pre-install systems.

Anyway, I reset the router several times, tried the Toshiba, tried my other desktop PCS - all worked.

I spoke to HP Technical Support in Cape Town for over an hour, and they recommended setting the laptop back to factory settings and starting over.

I did this twice , but always had the same result.

I did manage to get the ethernet connection working. It was simply the wireless capability that the system said was 'disconnected'. It was the wireless capability that I had bought the system for.

Cape Town called back the next day to see if I had had any progress and when I said 'no', they said it was most likely a hardware fault and recommended that I contact my supplier, Staples, and ask them to take it back and refund me.

HP Technical Support were extremely helpful.

I called Staples and they tracked back in the Technical Support call to verify what I said and then arranged to pick the system up. I told them that I really liked the DM1 and would be happy to have a replacement one that worked - they said they had no more in stock.

I did one final thing to check out that it was not my router. I have a friend who has just bought a Vaio, pre-installed with Windows 7. I invited her for coffee bringing her laptop. When powered up, it connected instantly.

I'm ordering the new Toshiba NB300-108 today.

HP Recommended

My DV7T laptop is less than 2 wks old & it's been wireless & Bluetooth "hell" from the moment I turned on the power button.  I've spent a good 60 hours troubleshooting, testing, adding, updating, reconfiguring, reformatting, reloading, adding another USB wireless adapter to test the system, calling HP's outsourced Tech Support (they are useless), emailing them back & forth & doing all the pertinent research myself.

The original internal wireless adapter, the external Netgear wireless adapter (that I purchased @ Best Buy to test my theory) and the internal Bluetooth adapter all SEE the available wireless networks & Bluetooth devices in the area but WILL NOT CONNECT to them.    When digging deep thru the Windows 7 Event Logs to see the WLAN Auto-Config connection attempts & errors, I found that Windows 7 kicks out the wireless driver when you try to connect since the program code that allows the driver to SEE signals is not necessarily the same code as that required to send out connection credentials to the access point or Bluetooth device (hopwever, the DV7 did refuse to accept incoming pairing passphrases from my Palm Pro smartphone).

From the plethora of wireless complaints associated with non-existent wireless on new Windows 7 PC's & the gamut of wireless losses when upgrading to Windows 7, it really points to an internal issue in Windows 7 that HP & Microsoft will have to work on patching & that may take some time.

If it were not for the fact that Windows 7 also rejects 3rd party external adapters as well as the internal notebook adapter, there might be a temporary solution to the problem until HP gets its act together with MS on this defect.

My only other suggestion would be to contact MS Tech Support for a list of compatible wireless adapters or wireless drivers for your Windows version.   That will be my next step or I will be shipping this notebook back to HP for a refund & switching back to another manufacturer's Vista notebook (which I have been running for over 2 years with a single major issue).

HP Recommended

Just as an update, my Toshiba NB300-108 arrived and saw and connected to my wireless router first time.

With the HP Pavilion DV1 notebook, there was not an option to replace the net card, and I don't buy hardware and software that don't work out of the box. If I want a computer game then I'll buy something specifically for the purpose.....:smileywink:

I'm happy to take any system apart and have done so with many of them since my first MS-DOS system in 1982 - but only when adding to functionality, not to make it work in the first place.

In my case at least, I do think the problem was one of defective hardware. Windows 7 works fine.

HP Recommended

I'm having a similar issue, I was able to fix the connection with my older xp, but the Newer laptop is  days out of warranty and HP tech support was unable to talk me through it.  The adapter is not recognizing the wireless signal which is excellent and the LAN connection is not able to either. If there are so many problem with this why don't they do the right thing and fix it already. There has to be some sort of update or patch to quell the situation.

HP Recommended

days out of warranty... GOOD LUCK!!! there is no patch no help from HP Just forget it! Consider it a very expensive lesson learned. HP will continue to sell junk to consumers so that they can charge double the money on repairs. It seems to be a good way to make the company $$$

HP Recommended

I REPLACED the wireless card and the ISSUE HAS BEEN SOLVED. 

HP Recommended

hi guys, can anyone help me solve my problem as well? i just bought an hp pavilion dm3 1016AX and im having trouble connecting to the internet using a wired network from telstraclear. just dont know what to do..really frustrated..it should be easy just connecting it the network...PLSSSSS HELP been trying this for 3 days now...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.