Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi Framan82,

All devices are different. The router has firmware updates that could cause issues.

Virus protection causes issues, I was trying to see if it was the adapter or the connection.  If you connect to a public access and all is well then it is not the adapter and we need to look at other options.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem. The weak signal is not the biggest problem, its the intermittent disconnections that is the biggest problem for me. As this means suddenly disconnected from calls or disconnected from online games for a while. I have tried using different router channels, checked other devices, tried connecting to other wifi spots, problem existed before and after updates. Using my cousin's usb wifi adapter solved al the weak signal and disconnection problems. With that i concluded the ralink card is the problem. I am assuming the situation might be like the picture posted by someone in the previous posts that my card is not well connected. But i do not want to risk opening up my new laptop.

HP Recommended

Hi Mrstenter,

same problem with a public router.

I show you a picture for comparison of network signal on various devices (HP ENVY DV7, Acer Aspire 6930g, Google Nexus 7 2013 and Galaxy S3): the devices are in same position in the room. Detected networks are few than usual because it's 7:30 am.

Untitled-1.jpg

HP Recommended

Running Ubuntu Linux 13.10. I had the same disconnect issue as many of you Windows users until I upgraded to a beta driver (developed by the open-source community, not Ralink)(Kernel 3.12 for those who are interested). The connection is now reliable, but it is still weak---reporting 2 out of 4 bars at 1 meter from the router.

HP Recommended

MrStenter

I warn you against patronizing us more . We are not fools . The truth is that the Adapter is Faulty , No driver update can solve the issue . HP Replace the adapter with a new one or replace the laptop itself .

Dont tell us that some interference may cause slow connections , router is faulty  , driver is faulty , we ve done that troubleshooting . SO STOP giving your expert Advice . I will Mail the CEO about this i kid you not .

I am a Post Grad in Electronics so you cant fool me . You get that ?   I had a compaq machine for four years , which is why i went for HP when i bought a new one , But i must say , if this problem of Ralink adapters was identified more than a year ago , then HP my dear friend has failed miserably as a Computer vendor .  And Bleep HP , Im done . This is my Last purchase with HP . 

Bloody Hell With your drivers and your Baby monitors

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, and now im sure that this is because of defective adapter, i have just bought my new laptop for a week, and now , bye HP , your product is ***

HP Recommended

as far as i am concerned this adapter is junk i have had alot of the same problems as everyone else. I have a wireless n router and unless i am in the same room as the router it does not stay connected to it or if it does it i still lose my internet connection. The only way to successfully be able to use this wireless card at all is to us the wireless g mode and not the n on your router then it works fine. Just sucks that i have a wireless n router and still have to use g because this stupid wireless card does not play nice with n.

HP Recommended

by the way hp you might want to get this problem takin care of... this has been an on going issue for some time. I work in computer sales at a large retailer not saying which one but i will say that i will be looking at the specs on the computers i sell and guess what hp if you have these cards in any of your new laptops i won't be recommending them to anyone. Its pretty sad that i used to love hp and recommend them to everyone i know and i can't anymore for fear that a stupid problem like this will never get resolved. It's been over a year and your still putting this junk card in your laptops what the hell is wrong with you. Get with the program hp i won't be recommending you to anyone i know and hp def won't be the first brand i recommend to someone ever again. Done decided i will never buy hp again either. GO ASUS!!!!

HP Recommended

I am no IT expert, but I do know enough about computers to know HP **bleep**ed us hard.

Months ago, I called HP's support, and they wanted me to bring my notebook down to the service support centre. I'm fine with that even though HP screwed me up and should have offered to collect it at my doorstep.

And of course we've been through HP's blame game, telling us how our network settings, our routers, interference from other devices, etc.. are the root cause of our problems. When i look to the left and right on my HP crapbook, my Dell, iPhone and Galaxy S3, are displaying full signal strength.

The final straw came when they offered to replace my "defective" Ralink card with another Ralink card of the exact same model. I am not an idiot, it is obvious to a novice by now Ralink produces junk. Anyone with access to your computer's BIOS (unmodified) would know that the whitelist listed several other cards as well. But upon my inquiry HP refused to replace it with anything other than Ralink crap.

I took matters into my own hands and replaced craplink with a $20 bucks Intel Centrino Advanced-N6230 bought over Ebay (If i remembered correctly, this card was in the BIOS whitelist). After installation, WIFI was a breeze without any tweaks, till today i've not had any problems with my own replacement.

HP is likely to void my warranty because i'm not a "trained" technician and hence not certified to open up my computer, and yes the blame game, I'm not using a HP certified part, i.e. 16GB DDR3 RAM that cost $500 bucks or more (in comparison, $100 more or less gets you gaming grade RAM on eBay or Amazon). 

Lets be honest HP, you've demanded a premium over most of your competitors, but you butt-**bleep**ed us consumers by delivering crap components, quality, and played the blame game once we've handed over our cash. Never will I purchase anything from you again. 

HP Recommended

This adapter is also used in business line Probook, but the adapter is nightmare. Alhtoght it work just fine in my home WiFi, in some public hotspots, I have signal problem , on some I have BSOD on Windows 7.  I have the latest drivers installed, but it does not help. My solution was this: http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/adapters/dwa-121-wireless-n-150-pico-usb-adapter

I'd appreciate if anyone can poin to the procedure on how to extract and replace this adapter with something else.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.