Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

This link no longer works

HP Recommended

I agree with you completely. The HP quality is not there with this computer. I have given up using the Wifi for any type of reliable networking.

HP Recommended

NONE OF THESE WEBSITES ARE WORKING

HP Recommended

Hello!

As everybody -I had the same problem I have HP 2000 -AMD PROC.

wireless signal starting point: only 1 or 2 bars , sometimes none.( i was only 10 feet away from my router-FIOS)

After going through WEB SITES AND all the NONE ANSWERS, HERE WHAT i FOUND ON MINE LOPTOP:

THERE IS A black-  WIRE (SOME MAY HAVE 2 WIRES BLACK AND GRAY - ) I gues it is smoe kind of antena??

On the RALINK BOARD -THERE ARE TWO MINI CONNECTORS- WHERE YOU PLUGG THE WIRES .

I noticed that in my system -the black wire (labled with a sticker as - 1; was plugged to termonal 2 (AUX).

I removed the wire -inspected the end connector (it is dammaged!) BUT  i plugged into terminal 1- SECURRED WITH A TAPE SO DOES NOT COME OUT!.

Voilà!- LAST 2 DAYS I HAVE FULL (ALL BARS) SCALE SIGNAL!

IF ANYONE NEED THE DRIVERS FOR HP - GO TO THEIR WEB SITE -TAKES LITTLE PATIENTS - YOU NEED GIVE ALL INFO OF YOUR PC(LOPTOP) - IN MY CASE THEY CHECKED MY LOPTOP AND GIVE MY PROPER MODEL AND S/N) -THAN I GOT MY DRIVERS.

good luck.

HP Recommended

Downloading and installing "IS_RT2860_W7-5.0.46.0_W8-5.0.46.0_W8Blue-5.0.46.0_04152014_5.0.46.0_Free.zip" from

http://mediatek.com/en/downloads/pciert2790rt309xrt35x2rt539xrt3290mt7630/

has solved the problem on my device.

HP Recommended

Railnk RT5390 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter Fix with Driver 5.0.46.0

i have a HP 2000 with the Ralink RT5390 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi adapter.

My signal was going up and down, sometimes losing connection completely.

I installed drivers from:

http://www.opendrivers.com/download/driver-167476.html

Driver Info:
Mediatek Wireless Driver
Vendor: Media Tek
Category: Network
License: Driver
Version: 5.0.46.0
File Size: 21.89 Mb
Release: April 15, 2014
Update: July 15, 2014
Filename: is_rt2860_w7-5.0.46.0_w8-5.0.46.0.zip

After you have downloaded the file You will need to unzip the file to use it. 7-Zip works great and is free from their website, www.7-zip.org

Once extracted you will have a folder named "Disk1".

Open this folder and scroll down until you find "Setup" and run it as administrator.

ONce completed, Restart your computer and your problem should be fixed.

My speed now stays at 72.0 Mbps. No problems with video freeze, buffering, or lost connection.

HP Recommended

I am writing because I received a request from Harold Kumar to update my last post. I wish the best to everyone else who reports success. My own experience with those same drivers has been mixed at best.

I am suspicious of OpenDrivers.com. It looks very clean and I did an online comparison of the files that were possible to evaluate in their Windows 7 driver with the ones from Ralink and they were fairly identical except for a compiler note in the dll file. Their site looks clean, but for the glaring grammar errors. Also their note about advertising technologies is very vague. The manufacturer's file seems to be the same version. I would choose it.

My HP Pavilion g series still get periods where my internet says it is connected, with a strong signal, but my browser can't download anything. Sometimes opening up IE will get things started. (strangely)

Since HP has locked the firmware and it won't accept other internal WiFi cards (mean spiritedly - I believe), I have tried purchasing a USB WiFi dongle (TP-LINK TL-WN823N) that helped some, but far from perfect. I also use a Verizon Jetpack MiFi adapter when I use the commuter train. I can not get a reliable download, often when the 4G signal reports full strength.

I also sometimes use the USB connection to connect to the jetpack, rather than rely on WiFi. It seems slightly better, but still far from acceptable.

Some notes about my particular brand of bad performance.

I have learned that the more often my computer sleeps and wakes, the worse my connection will perform. If I have all the WiFi bars and balky or non-existant browser performance, restarting the computer will help.

My computer is dual booted. I use Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Both have this problem.

Lest anyone doubt that the problem is with the WiFi; This problem exists at home, at work and on the road. My workplace WiFi is astoundingly good and I use a MacBook at work that never ever lets me down. I'm due for a technology replacement at work in a few months, so my Macbook will become my personal computer, though I'll miss aspects of this computer, I won't miss the WiFi performance, which has been a dog from day one.

Finally; direct ethernet RJ-45 is rock solid. In my home, I have a WiFi repeater in the rear of the house, that extends the Comcast/Xfinity connection to the back yard and remote corners of the house. Fortunately it has a bank of ethernet plugs on it as well. So, I can use it to pick up the WiFi signal and plug my pavilion in with a wire and work satisfactorily.

Sorry I don't have a lot of hope to offer, from my own experience, though it seems like some have had a good result with the driver update. Perhaps my own troubles are with an individual machine and not ascribable to the type of computer.

HP Recommended

Re: Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter will not stay connected

HP Recommended

What we have done is:

On my wifi router (D-Link 750 Dual Band router), for 2.5G wireless connection setup, setup the mode as 802.11n only.

Earlier it was 802.11bgn.

Then, my Ralink driver detected, and it got connected. Now I am typing this message through that connection only.

HP Recommended

MediaTek Drivers and firmware moved to a new url

New direct url is http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads1/downloads/pcimpcicbrt2860rt2760rt2890/

but for other old Ralink drivers check the 1st underlined link first

Good Luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.