Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
The text in the heading says "will not stay connected" There is a connection it is just flaky, but you can still connect and do adhoc stuff.
HP Recommended
…oh. Right. Sorry about that.
HP Recommended

I myself have had problems with this adapter. I purchased this computer approx 6 months ago and it has had unstable internet connectivity from the beginning. I spoke with HP Support numerous times to get a solution to this. After trying everything imaginable I was told to open the laptop and switch the black and gray cables on the wireless card.  However, when I opened it up...there was no gray cable! There was only a black one and an empty connector!  So again I spoke with HP Support and was told that it appears the gray cable is missing and I need to ship the computer in for repair.  Just lovely.  I ran a backup up all my files and did a complete system restore to factory condition and then, just for experimental purposes, I moved my wireless router to the same room where the computer is primarily used.  Since then, I have had no connectivity issues! I am debating even sending it back in for repair. Can anyone tell me if they have ever heard of these computers being sold with a missing gray wire? Also, what is the function of this gray wire? Seems if the WiFi card were missing parts the thing wouldn't work at all!  Thank you so much in advance for any light you can shed on this matter for me!

HP Recommended

Wow, that is really interesting. My initial guess would be that if there is a missing wire, it might be for the Antenna. I don't know about the internals, but my experience with mine is that when you are close the Wifi works ok. It is only when the distance is greater between Laptop and Wifi AP, that the problems happen.

I suggest you try moving the Access Point again, and see if the problem comes back. It would be better to know if there is still a problem.

Btw, can you post here, which screws you removed, and where the grey wire is supposed to be. I can look in mine, and see if it looks the same.

Grant.

HP Recommended

Hi Grant!  Thanks for your reply! 

I moved the laptop to the other side of the house and it again started disconnecting and re-connecting itself sporatically.  UGH! 

I removed my battery and that very first compartment next to the battery is the cover I removed. The WiFi card is right on top. There is a black wire connected to the Wi-Fi card but there is an empty connection that (I have heard) is where a gray wire is supposed to be.  So glad it was inspected so well prior to being sold.

Please let me know if you have a gray wire, ok?  And thanks again!

Jennifer

HP Recommended

Hi Jennifer,

The only cover I can see after taking the battery out is a small oblong cover with what looks like one screw. Is that what you remove to lift the cover ?

Grant

HP Recommended

Hi Grant!  I am starting to think we may have different laptops. Mine is the HP 2000-412NR. If this is a forum for a different model I apologize. I'm new!  I do however have the Ralink RT5390 adapter and in searching for solutions I came across this forum and saw that other users are having the same dropped connectivity with this adapter. In fact in doing a web search I am seeing this seems to be a HUGE problem with this adapter in many models of HP computers. So Im doubting what they told me about the gray wire. How likely is it that there are tons of people out there that received computers that happened to be missing a wire...?  I am again at a loss. I would just have a brand new adapter put in this laptop, but I have also read that HP has made this impossible and I cannot switch out adapters.  So....back to square one.

Jennifer

HP Recommended

Sorry, yes my mistake. I think the forum started with your type of laptop, and mine is HP4530s. But you are correct that both suffer with the Ralink adaptor. I have 5 other HP laptops, which have different types of Wifi (Atheros etc), and have never had any trouble like this.

I hope HP are reading this. I have dumped the HP4530s, and have bought the previous model 2nd hand. This (HP4520s) has the same specs, but with Atheros Wifi, and it goes fine.

The problem seems to be Ralink adaptors are faulty.

Sorry for the confusion.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for trying to help me. Yeah it seems apparent that this Ralink adapter is not a winner. If I come up with a solution I will certainly let you know. Im thinking I will just continue to use it in one area of the house where the router is (kinda defies the point of portability with a laptop..but the internet is functional here) and eventually purchase a Dell which is what I fully intended to do in the first place, but was wooed by the cheaper price of the HP. And the old saying comes back...you get what you pay for. Sigh. Live and learn.

Thanks again Grant! Good luck with yours and hopefully before long there will be a fix for this. If enough people bring this issue to HPs attention they may do something about it. Im not sure what their intention was when they sent me the box to ship mine in for warranty repair...perhaps I will contact them and find out.

Take care,

Jennifer

HP Recommended
I simply had a virus on my PC. I connected with an Ethernet cable to access the Internet, removed the virus using Microsoft Security Essentials (free program for windows users) and then my wireless connection worked again. You could try that.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.