Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Yes, Same here

I have limped along with this adapter in my G6 Pavilion for nearly 3 years now. Works barely well enough to keep me working. I look for a hard connection when I can find one. Thinking lately about a USB WiFi N adapter, since they have come down in price. Shouldn't have to.

So far I have bought a replacement Ralink on Amazon. Exactly the same performance and frequent loss of connectivity. Tried latest drivers... Hah!

Tried to put an Intel adapter in. Physically compatible, but HP bios warned me off of that and wouldn't boot until I took it out and restored the RaLink. I understand that there may be a non-blacklisted bios available that would allow the Intel card to boot, though I'm nervous about bricking my laptop.

HP has known about this problem for years. At least it's been on these fora for as long as I've had this PC. It's the computer equivalent of the GM Power Switch, without a recall. Nice work guys. My computer has been a decent low-end machine except for this one thing.

HP Recommended
I wish to have "Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235" installed in my "HP Pavilion g6-1d21dx" Notebook PC, but I believe that my BIOS will also block the Intel Wireless Adapter...

My question is there's any way to allow this hardware installation without any issues by unblocking the BIOS???
HP Recommended

I just went to MediaTek.com and download their latest driver for RT5390 Ver 5.0.46.0 dated 4/9/14 and I am now connecting in "N Mode" at 72Mbps. Before, I never got above 54Mbps. The link referenced in the message above does not work but going to the site and drilling down to RT5390 gets you to the right area. I did have to input my name but as soon as I did, I got the link for the latest RT5390 Driver from MediaTek.

HP Recommended

Joe, could you please chare the link on to the driver update on the mediatek site? I'm searching 5390 but nothing is coming up. Thanks!

HP Recommended

http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads/pciert2790rt309xrt35x2rt539xrt3290mt7630/

If case the link above is old or stale, I searched for "RT539" on mediatek website and then had to enter my email address and submit. Then in less that 1 hour, I got a reply back from Mediatek support with a URL where I could download their driver. My RT5390 worked right away. I am now getting 72Mbps at radio type: 802.11n.

HP Recommended

Thanks! The link worked, I entered my email, and it immediately downloaded a zip file. Now I just have no clue what to do with all the files in here. There are no instructions on which one is the update. Hopefully Mediatek will email me back and tell me.

HP Recommended

Yes, there was a lot of files. From memory,  I looked around and I believe( not 100% sure ) I clicked on "setup"( it was the only executable file ) figuring I had nothing to lose because: (1) I was using a USB Network Adapter and (2) my RT5390 wasn't working very good and after the update, it is working great.  Hopefully, Mediatek has replied by now and has verified that clicking on 'setup" is the correct solution.

HP Recommended

So, Windows automatically updated my computer the other day. Since then, I'm back to the connectivity issues.

In fact, the new message tends to be, "The connection between your access point router or cable modem and the Internet is broken." Plus, I get "The default gateway is not available."  

I've updated all drivers. My Ethernet card, Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller, has a red X next to it.  I have really had it with this issue. 

The issue is clearly with the Network Card and with my modem. It does not happen on any other type of connection outside of my home.

Does anyone know what in my modem could keep shutting off my Network Card and dropping my Wi-Fi? 

HP Recommended

I have a Pavilion g6 with that card. I have replaced the Ralink Card with a new one, tried an external USB WiFi adapter (TP-LINK TL-WN823N 300Mbps Wireless Mini USB Adapter). I have dual-booted my machine to Ubuntu. Nothing I have done makes the reliability of the WiFi connection comparable to other computers I use (I use Lenovos and Macs at work additionally I have an iPhone). This computer, in my belief, has an inherently inferior design or system for connecting. I used to think the problem was with the card. I no longer do. I think it's the computer and it will only be improved when I get a different computer. Meanwhile, I use a hard wire connection whenever possible (including tethering my hotspot). Also having both the Ralink and the external dongle seems to be more reliable than just the built in card.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

I need to down load the driver for this adapter and can't find it. I have to download it on another computer and transfer it to the crippled one that won't go on the internet. All I have found is the downloader wich want work for my pourpos.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.