Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Start

Run

services.msc <enter>

look for the Norton service, mine was NIS.

double click

Disable. (you may have to stop it first)

Reboot to make sure...

HP Recommended
My laptop hp 15 r006 tu posess ralink rt 3290 wireless card....initialy wifi and bluetooth worked....but now both are not wofking...in device manager too devices arenot available....what to do...
HP Recommended

I downloaded a new driver maybe I didn't do something right but I still lose internet connection and it's only on my computer not on any other devices connected to wift. I'm just gonna buy a wifi adapter I guess. But every so often it will say cannot display this page and Internet Explorer does a  test and it says resetting ralink adapter than I am ok for a while.

HP Recommended

Exact same issue and system as Colleen!(cq- 56) My adapter"sees"my router with an excellent signal strength as well as my neighbors signals,but "says" cannot connect...my card and its antenna are connected o.k.-this problem suddenly arose even though my anti-virus software has been operating for months.If I were to delete the driver in exchange for a possible windows(7) option,how do I save the Ralink one in case I want to revert back to it? I've tried to find a siutable download for the driver,but either the file is incorrectly formatted or it is just the "read me" portion, or misleads me to an ad. Any help will be greatly appreciated by myself and Colleen!

HP Recommended

Guess what??? I finally ditched Kaspersky as my anti-virus and now I have Wi-Fi on my laptop at my house!!  The geniuses at HP and Kaspersky could never figure out why I had no Wi-Fi, so I got rid of it!!

It comes a little too late, though. I just bought a new laptop and it is NOT an HP!!  I also grew tired of the failure of HP to discover why the Wi-Fi Adapter they installed was causing my Wi-Fi access to be blocked. Iwould EVER get another HP laptop-or product-again. Within 3 years, my battery has died, my CD drive died, and now my hinge needs to be replaced.  Not to mention the issue with the poor quality Ralink Wi-Fi Adapter that I have had for years!!

HP has lost my business FOREVER!!

I look forward to many years of pain-free use of my new laptop!!

HP Recommended

you would NOT be saying that if the shoe were on your foot and your laptops and all support and fixes were not free !  we have 2 HP's w/ RALINK crap out of 11 devices total which do this all the time in different routers while none of the other devices EVER have done it.  we have wasted hundreds of hours !  Geek squad wont listen and/or honor warranty & neither will HP AND HP wont even email me back or call ALSO "google"  HP RALINK WIFI - and see the thousands of people being shunned by HP.  BUT were it a celebrity or prominent figure or HP higher up - 1 X with this issue and it would be fixed.  NOW, you tell me after HP is abusing all of us, tell me about being courteous...heck, you probably wont even allow this post 

HP Recommended

Downloading and installing "IS_RT2860_W7-5.0.46.0_W8-5.0.46.0_W8Blue-5.0.46.0_04152014_5.0.46.0_Free.zip" from

http://mediatek.com/en/downloads/pciert2790rt309xrt35x2rt539xrt3290mt7630/

has solved the problem on my device.

HP Recommended

Dear All.

I have similar problem as You with disconected from network or limited connection. In my case helpfull was changeing settings of power saveing. Below i paste screenshot from my computer (with different card but in my wife notebook is installet Ralink Card and i also uncheck this option). I hope that this solution solve also Yours problem.

Drivers which was instaled was the same as in Windows 8.1.

Settings.jpg

HP Recommended

I did have same problem  with my HP pavillion g6. My wifi connection was dropping  frequently , especially when the laptop was idle  for a moment . When restoring wife connection through troubleshooter i was getting the following msg " default gateway unavailable " My other laptop at home plus two  mobile phones worked  fine  at that time .  I spend over 1 week trying to get  to  the bottom of problem ( such a waste of time ! Could have  made enough  money    to buy  few  new laptops...).

1.Did  several  wifi adapter driver updates ( from HP  support website).

2.  Changed Power management  plan  for  wifi  adapter ( under device manager) 

3. Restored Laptop  and Windows 8 to  factory settings 

4. Fiddled with command com file  in variety of ways suggested  on  several "helpful" websites . 

5. Created  Admin profile on my laptop to be able to  change my settings 

5. Few other things  that  i found  in the web  and which were  supposed to help ( do not remember now  what they were ).

All in vain .  What did help and took only  2 minutes  was to buy new Ralink RT5390 wifi card  on ebay ( £5.50) and  replacing the  old wifi card ( 2 minutes  of my time  in total :  1min to watch youtube film on how to replace the card and 1 min to actually replace it) .  As I did  buy the same wifi card, I did not  need to  reinstall  drivers at all  and my laptop started  working  right away. I hear  that buying other, more reliable   wifi  adapter  brands   solves the problem too ( eg Broadcom cards ). If you have time  and other working laptop at home  you can buy the same wifi card  on ebay directly from China  for £3( takes 2-3 weeks to arrive) .  My wifi is zippo again .  I really recommend  to do it to anybody who is experiencing wifi problem with Ralink  adapter . Do not waste your time !

HP Recommended

Yeah, I eventually cracked and bought an intel wi-fi adapter for my computer

After installing speeds improved and so did connection quality, however only subltly.

I did more research and it turns out the router in my house (actiontec V100h) isn't well equipped for the range I was trying to communicate from. I had to buy a TPLink wifi-repeater to alleviate my issue, I'm now getting speeds between 35-50 mbps, which I'm more than happy with.

The ralink adapter is still nothing but garbage, with my new intel adapter I can connect much easier to public networks, just keep in mind that it may not just be the adapter in the computer but other factors do come into account

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.