Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the exact same laptop HP 15-f010dx with the exact same issue. I bought mine about 4 weeks ago. When its plugged in I routinely get download speeds of 14-15.5 Mbps. But when its unplugged I was only getting 1-2 Mbps download speeds. I've consistently been getting almost 2Mbps on the upstream path regardless of whether its on battery or plugged in. (I used a website called speed test.net to calc the speeds.As an aside,  Mydesktop PC is also getting 15Mbps download speeds.)

I tried changing the power management to High Performance, disabled a bunch of browser add-ons, and ran SpyBot (which found a bunch of unrelated problems) These steps did not fix the problem.

I reviewed the post from MechPilot in this thread. I did the steps he suggested to uncheck the network power adapter management, do a DNS flush & the reset the TCP/IP. Then I rebooted. These steps have definitely made an improvement. I'm getting download speeds in the 10-15Mbps range on battery power. These speeds are still not as good as the 15Mbps I get when its plugged in. Buts its still 5 times faster than yesterday. I can live with this but I guess I'll give it another day or two to see if the improved performance continues.

Walt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi again Rengaw,

Hopefully the flush of the DNS and the TCP/IP reset will fix the issue in the long term, although the nature of networking may require a repeat from time to time. If you have to flush the DNS or reset the TCP/IP settings frequently, you might need to update the firmware on your wireless router, or have your router manufacturer take a look at it.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

See my expanded post below. This seems to help the problem. Will I need to periodically redo the DNS flush & TCP/IP reset? This seems like an awfully techie thing for a regular user to need to do. Any other suggestions I can try? I still think it has something to do with the power management process.

HP Recommended

Hello @Rengaw,

I have read your post on how the wireless connection on your notebook computer continues to stream slowly after flushing the DNS, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

Since resetting the TCP/IP stack and flushing the DNS has not resolved your issue, I recommend restoring the default power schemes on your computer by following the steps below:

Step 1. Click the Start button
Step 2. In the search box, type "Command Prompt"
Step 3. Right-click Command Prompt

Step 4. Click Run as administrator
Step 5. At the command prompt, type powercfg /restoredefaultschemes and press Enter 

If you are still not able to connect to your network, you will need to remove and re-install the WiFi adapter drivers on your notebook. To do this, I recommend removing the drivers in Programs and Features and the Device Manager. Once the old software is removed, please restart your computer. The drivers for your wireless network adapter can be downloaded an installed by following this document on Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers

Next, if nothing has worked we are going to try using Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎 to restore your computer back to a point in time before this issue arose. This will not affect any personal files you have on your computer, but it will affect any settings you have changed or applications you have installed since the time you go back to. These will have to be re-done once we are finished.

Lastly, If we still have the issue we are at the point where we need to use the HP Support document: Backing Up Your Files (Windows 😎 to back up your personal files. Once we have done this successfully I would like you to review and follow the steps set out in the HP Support document: Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎, which will walk you through restoring your computer back to factory.

reference: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/Laptop-disconnests-from-internet-unable-to-...

If the issue persists, please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

I hope this helps!

Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

Hi

Actually the DNS flush & TCP/IP reset DID work. My question is whther this is a permanent fix or will I need to periodically redo the DNS flush & TCP/IP reset? 

Thanks

Walt

HP Recommended

Hi again Rengaw,

Hopefully the flush of the DNS and the TCP/IP reset will fix the issue in the long term, although the nature of networking may require a repeat from time to time. If you have to flush the DNS or reset the TCP/IP settings frequently, you might need to update the firmware on your wireless router, or have your router manufacturer take a look at it.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

hopefully you've found a solution by now, if not, this is for people who may come across this thread in the future. i had the problem where immediately after i unplug my laptop the internet download speeds would drop to 0.3mb/s. upload speeds were fine. 

i tried everything i could think of. i turned all of the settings on the power-saver to maximum performance. none of that worked. 

the solution for me was to update the wireless adapter driver. immediately after installation i was getting 22mb/s download speeds. not plugged in.

hope this helps

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.