Question

Tutor
ChalkyGBG
Message 1 of 14 (8,703 Views)
Accepted Solution

Slow speed in with full connection

Speed.jpgHi!

I got a really  weird speed with my wireless as seen above, Im using a Broadcom 4313 on my Probook 6555b and a Netgear WNDR3700 as W-Router.

Is there a speed limitation for some reason on the broadcom wireless card?

Changing channels make no differences and for some reason I can only select USA all do I live in Europe in the wireless network settings...

Any help would be great...

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 2 of 14 (8,681 Views)

Re: Slow speed in with full connection

What encryption do you use?? I had a similar problem with a Linksys WAG320N. I have a better signal on 2.4GHz than 5GHz even when I live in a block of flats and can see over 12 wireless networks on 2.4GHz. I have set channel 13 on the router, WPA2-TKIP Personal, 2.4GHz and moved it closer to my bedroom. I have 85-100% signal now and mostly 300Mbps speed.

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
Testing - HP 15-p000
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Tutor
ChalkyGBG
Message 3 of 14 (8,673 Views)

Hi, 

Thank you for your answer, 

I can not detect the 5Ghz network at all and on the 2,4 Ghz I have a constant 100% connection strenght but the speed is still limited to 65 Mb/s for some reason.

I have also tried disabling  win7 autotuning function but still the speed is way bellow 300Mb/s, the router is correctly setup.

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 4 of 14 (8,646 Views)

@ChalkyGBG

Hi,

For Bradcom 4313 this is maximum and you can't get more. It's a single stream card which use 20 MHz channel widith.

This type of products support a maximum connection rate between 65 -72 Mbps.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Tutor
ChalkyGBG
Message 5 of 14 (8,636 Views)

Hi again, 

That was what I was afraid of, sure sucks big time.

What point is there then for this device to market it self as 802.11n when the speed is limited so badly...

Thanks for you answer, cheers...

Honor Student
gmatj
Message 6 of 14 (8,349 Views)

hI M8

I would gladly press any button including the kudos star to thank you .

however

A couple of weeks ago , I got a dv7-4110ev ,17'',  i7, 6gb RAM, 1TB HDD  laptop and I could never imagine that it could be so crappy. (excuse me the word - but it is the only one to describe this laptop)

I  got very  furious and angry  as the wireless card which was advertised as a wireless   b/g/n  standard , connects to my router (and other routers I tried) at this a rediculous 72mbs.

If you top this up with the NIC disapearing problem and the worst part is that now if I  wire-connect to my router whenever I try to copy  something from the net the NIC disapears !!! everytime - all the time

THIS IS CRAP - I did not buy a high end HP laptop to get all this. I would expect such a behaviour from a "handmade" laptop from across the road, but from a brand name unit (HP).

A high end dv7-4110ev ,17'',  i7, 6gb RAM, 1TB HDD  laptop with crippled networking.

Fellows DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME SEARCHING FOR A SOLUTION THAT DOES NOT EXIST - TAKE YOUR LAPTOP BACK TO HP AND DEMAND A GOOD REPLACEMENT  OR BETTER YOUR MONEY BACK

PLEASE DO POST YOUR ANGER -  LOUD

Tutor
ChalkyGBG
Message 7 of 14 (8,334 Views)

I agree with you there, false advertising to say the least.

As to the disappearing NIC, I think you should be able to disable this "powersaving" future in the bios, I was...

Best regards... 

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 8 of 14 (8,325 Views)

wireless   b/g/n  standard

Broadcom 4313 is a certified 802.11N wireless card. 802.11G works up to 54Mbps and BCM 4313 up to 72Mbps. It means the card supports 802.11N standard because 802.11N works up to 300Mbps not at 300Mbps. I agree that the card is a junk but still supports N standard

My advice is, go to the driver support webpage, find the maintenance and service guide manual (PDF) and in the ilustrate components see which module are compatible with the laptop. Then buy it and replace it..

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
Testing - HP 15-p000

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Honor Student
Romeo2001
Message 9 of 14 (7,910 Views)

HP has become cheap these days. I bought mini 210-2070nr 2 months back. Today, I got chance to play with it and realized the network is slow (like hell) and did research and found the same information as OP got. Really disappointed to see that HP put the marketing letter (N) in the specs and attaching the crappy card into the netbook.

Cheaters!

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 10 of 14 (7,887 Views)

Romeo2001 wrote:

HP has become cheap these days. I bought mini 210-2070nr 2 months back. Today, I got chance to play with it and realized the network is slow (like hell) and did research and found the same information as OP got. Really disappointed to see that HP put the marketing letter (N) in the specs and attaching the crappy card into the netbook.

Cheaters!

Hi,

They have to make laptops different (also prices are different). It means some of them have worse wireless cards and faster or larger hard drives and others something else. Manufacturers like Broadcom, Atheros, Ralink and Intel make various modules and that's why each laptop has a different module. I have no idea how HP, Dell, Toshiba, etc.. choose the wireless modules for its products but they do it somehow and you have to pick  the best option for you. As mentioned before, see the maintenance and service guide and get a faster card if possible...

I can say for myself, that a wireless module is more important for me, than a hard drive in a laptop I would like to buy because I connect to the internet (home, college) by wireless only..:smileyhappy:

Testing - HP 15-p000

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation