Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I bought a HP wi fi mobile mouse because I believed what it said on the packaging. It doesn't work because I get a message saying SoftAP is not available. I've spent several hours trying to track down SoftAP and it seems that if I am willing to pay £28.00 an expert (not connected to HP) will help. I feel cheated by HP as there is no mention of SoftAP anywhere in the very sparse manual or on the packaging. I am  not about to spend another £28.00 and will instead return the mouse for a refund and will probably avoid buying HP products in the future.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally gave up on this device.  HP just blew it.

View solution in original post

125 REPLIES 125
HP Recommended

If you are using any other OS like XP, Vista, Linux etc HP Wi-Fi  mouse would not work and it would throw up the error- " SoftAP is not available"

The HP Wi-Fi mouse requires the “SoftAP” feature built into Windows 7 to work, so older versions of Windows (XP, Vista, etc) are not supported.

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

I do have Windows 7 installed and it still doesn't work.

HP Recommended

Try this to disable and re-enable SoftAP module : 

Go to Start menu and type "cmd" without quotes and then Press Ctrl + Shift +Enter and type following command without quotes

“netsh wlan stop hostednetwork” <press enter>, then type

“netsh wlan start hostednetwork” <press enter>

FYI Some older wireless adapters are not Windows 7 certified and do not support the SoftAP function built into Windows 7.  Since the HP Wi-Fi Mouse uses the SoftAP function, it is not supported on these non Windows7 certified wireless adapters.

Could you please check in Device Manager and let me know whats name of wireless card or adapter on your Notebook? Also are you trying to connect the WIFI mouse for first time or was it working earlier and now it has stopped working ?

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

I too just ran into teh same problem.  I got the mouse about two weeks ago.  It has worked perfectlyt except for once last week when I had to pair it again.  I just fired up the PC and the mouse was not recognized.  I followed the instructions to stop hostednetwork and then tried to start it again.  The first time it gave me a message that it must be run as administrator.  I then opened a command prompt as administrator and ran the start again..  This time I got the messages that "The Hosted Network couldn't be started. The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation."  I have no idea what this means.  I have also run the install for the software and selected repair, with no success.   Please help.

HP Recommended

I guess 'Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport adapter’  must be disabled or something in Device Manager and kindly provide information regarding driver version and wireless card.

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

After the post I restored to a few days ago and the mouse worked.  I then closed the lid for 15 minutes and when I opened it the mouse would not work again. Same error message when i tried to pair.  I then uninstalled the mouse software and after reboot i reinstalled the software and the mouse worked for the remainder of the evening.  I have not tried it yet this morning but will do so later today.  I cannot understand how it can be disabled when I do not do anything.

HP Recommended

i can't connect my Wifi mouse to my Dell Latitude 13 laptop, My wireless card is: intel(R) WiFi 5100 AGN #2

please help me! 

HP Recommended

MS Virtual WiFi Mini Port Adapter  Dated 06/22006, Version 6.1.7600.16385.  Network adapters, Atheros Communications Inc, Dated 5/6/2010 Version 9.0.0.202.

Hp send me a replacement mouse but it behaves the same.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same problem...

I tried the commands you mentione, but when I input "netsh wlan start hostednetwork" i get answer:

"Hosted network could not be started"

" The group or resoruces is not in the correct state to perform requested operation"

Btw, I have Inter Wireless WiFi Link 4965AG card.

Can you help me please?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.