Question

Student
wedeckerjr
Message 1 of 4 (2,715 Views)

Unable to connect to Internet- Wireless- Broadcom 802.11b/g

Helllo to All,

I have a Brand New Compaq Presari Notebook PC -Model V5305WM .  I am unable  to connect to the Internet with Built-In Broadcom Wireless  802.11b/g Network Adapter.  My preferred Wireless Connection is listed  in the Connect To listing of Available Wireless Networks, BUT, computer does NOT make Wireless Connection.   

I have contacted HP (Compaq) Support and followed their advice.  I have removed and reinstalled the Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN.  I have Updated the Broadcom 802.11b/g Driver, yet, still no Wireless Internet conection.  Any suggestions?

Please note that Unfortunatelly, I purchased this Compaq Notebook a couple of Years ago and ONLY now opened the package.  Thus, the computer is Out of Warranty.  I have Learned my Lesson, costly as it is to me.

One additional note: I know that my U.S. Robotics 8054 Turbo Wireless Router is working properly as I am able to connect via a Wireless Connection using an Older IBM Thinkpad 600E Laptop with a PCI Network Adapter.

Thank You in Advance for any assistance you may provide to me. 

Student
digitalserv
Message 2 of 4 (2,671 Views)

Re: Unable to connect to Internet- Wireless- Broadcom 802.11b/g

This may sound dumb, but did you unplug everything even your router?  Unplug, wait a couple minutes and restart. This helped me.
Intern
Joe2Shoe
Message 3 of 4 (2,560 Views)

Rebooting the cable modem/dsl modem and the wireless router should work.

If not, just purchase a USB wireless adapter (around $15.00 at newegg) and install the drivers/software per their instructions.

If the USB wifi adapter works, your onboard wifi adapter and/or the configuration there is the problem.

I use Rosewill and Azio USB wifi adapters, which work on XP, Vista, and Linux, no problems, even when the onboard wifi adapter doesn't.

Good luck.

Tutor
stphnc
Message 4 of 4 (2,260 Views)

had 3 laptops wireless just quit.....the one vista machine might connect every once and a while but only if it was 10 feet from the router...2 hours with comcast and another 2 with linksys.....(tryed a dlink too) neither could find any problem with their unit.......not the cable modem or router...turned out to be HP wireless assisstant....worked when we got the laptop then it just stopped about 2 months ago.....HP had done an update on the vista laptop. ....which screwed up the wireless signal from the router to all laptops in the house. unchecked HP assisstant in start up with msconfig and they all started working
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation