Question

Top Student
TreyDawg95
Message 1 of 11 (735 Views)

Unable to connect to the internet from my HP laptop

[ Edited ]

Hello I own a HP pavilion dv7 laptop and I'm having trouble connecting to my home connection. My laptop connects to other connections but my desktop PC and gaming console are connecting to the "broken" internet just fine so I'm assuming it's the laptop.

I've tried unplugging the modem/router for minutes, uninstalling/reinstalling the network adapter device ((It now keeps coming up as "unidentified network" instead of the original name for the connection; Should I be concerned??)), and even just stopped using the laptop for a few days to see if somehow that would fix it.

I've troubleshot it and it says theres a problem with my access point/router but I don't see how that's the problem if everything else is working fine. I've spent 3 hours looking into solutions to this problem and I've come accross that the router may not be giving the laptop an IP to connect too but I'm still not sure how to fix this issue or if it's another issue all together.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Trey.

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 11 (726 Views)

Re: Unable to connect to the internet from my HP laptop

TreyDawg95 wrote:

Hello I own a HP pavilion dv7 laptop and I'm having trouble connecting to my home connection. My laptop connects to other connections but my desktop PC and gaming console are connecting to the "broken" internet just fine so I'm assuming it's the laptop. ...

Hi,

Sorry, are you saying your laptop can connect to OTHER network ? Can you see the network icon signal bar (bottom right corner) ?.  Please click it, check the pop-up windows. Can it see your home network (SSID) there and what is the status ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
TreyDawg95
Message 3 of 11 (724 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, I can see my SSID and the status is full green but with a warning symbol. It also says it's an unidentified network.

I was also able to connect to my friends network earlier when I first tried fixing this problem.

Provost
banhien
Message 4 of 11 (714 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Please try this:

(a) Click to the SSID,

(b) Select/Click to Connect.

It should ask you for a password or it will jump out with a message. Please note the message.

Please also check the following link if Access Local only.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-networking/local-access-only-with-wir...

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
TreyDawg95
Message 5 of 11 (711 Views)

It will take a very long time trying to identify it or it will say access is limited/no connection available.

Provost
banhien
Message 6 of 11 (709 Views)

Hi,

Sorry, I've edited my reply. The link is for Vista but also applies to Windows 7.

Regards.

BH
Top Student
TreyDawg95
Message 7 of 11 (708 Views)

[ Edited ]

I followed the instructions and unticked Ipv6 but it still has trouble identifying the network and continues saying "Limited Access."

Edit:

After the limited access, it says "unidentified network; no interntet access" but it is still under the SSID when i click the bottom right.

Provost
banhien
Message 8 of 11 (705 Views)

Hi,

Please read from #2 of the following link:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsnetworking/ht/limited-connect.htm

Sorry, I will be off now and logon back at around 6AM AEST Sunday 18Nov2012 - my time now is 18:15 Saturday 17Nov. Hope you get your connection before that.

Good luck.

BH
Top Student
TreyDawg95
Message 9 of 11 (701 Views)

[ Edited ]

Okay, I will wait for you to return.

I followed the steps and nothing really happened.

The IP on my laptop is 169.254.xxx so my laptop is unable to get an IP from my router apparently.

I've tried each thing it said there and it still won't connect but I may have done it incorrectly.

I may have messed up setting up a static IP address.

I'm thinking that when I uninstalled and resintalled the network adapter, I caused another problem. :smileysad:

Oh, if it helps any, all this happened once I finished an update.

edit: I have done a little research and have found out that my problem is APIPA, and I'm trying to figure out what will fix it. Will it fix if I disable autoconfiguration through the registry? Anything you can suggest helps. Thanks.

I have also tried many other things and learned more about it.

I've tried updating my network adapter, which was outdated, but it did not fix my problem. I then tried disabling the encryption to see if it could have a better chance of connecting to the DHCP server but that failed too.

I unplugged the charger and moved the laptop closer and I'm getting some connection but it doesn't last very long, maybe a minute or two.

I'm guessing the laptop is having trouble connecting to the DHCP server which is why it keeps giving me an APIPA. Is there any way to improve how it connects to the DHCP?

Top Student
TreyDawg95
Message 10 of 11 (645 Views)

I made some calls and I found out it's not a problem with the router, modem, or connection. It's a problem with the laptop itself.

An update had happened before it started acting weird, and the person I had talked to said it was an issue in the HP configuration.

How do I access this and can any one give me any tips/walkthroughs on how to fix the issue?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation