WIFI excellent connection but page cannot be displayed (until I switch to Ethernet) (3218 Views)
Honor Student
Zee24
Message 1 of 7 (3,218 Views)
Accepted Solution

WIFI excellent connection but page cannot be displayed (until I switch to Ethernet)

I have an HP Pavilion dv1000 notebook pc with Windows XP

I thought I might have a virus so I recently reformated using my restore cds (which I have done before, however this time, it did not let me delete a partition when reinstalling windows which gave me my first red flag).

I continued & ran windows updates until there were none left.

I started to have issues losing WIFI connection (even though my wireless button is lit blue & wireless connection says connected & excellent). I've tried to repair the connection & pretty much everything else I've found in these pages to try (including but not limited to trying every driver download on hp.com, firefox, restoring internet explore 8 down to 7 & an unsuccessful Atheros download link).

My lack of WIFI connection (the page cannot be displayed) has become so bad, I can only access interent using my ethernet cord now (which I do not have regular access too, so repairing my WIFI is important asap).

I have reinstalled my backup media so I'd rather not reformat again, but please let me know if there is something more to try or if that is my only option (especially if the restore was improper since it did not let me delete a partition this time when it has in the past).

Thank you for any & all assistance!

Zee 

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 2 of 7 (3,193 Views)

Re: WIFI excellent connection but page cannot be displayed (until I switch to Ethernet)

Ok, go to the Start Menu/Accessories/System Tools and there should be command prompt. Open it and type ipconfig /all

Now you should be able to see your network settings. Paste the output in here, please..

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Honor Student
Zee24
Message 3 of 7 (3,183 Views)

Re: WIFI excellent connection but page cannot be displayed (until I switch to Ethernet)

Thank you for help, however, that may be a lil over my head as I went to Start Menu/Accessories/System Tools but that is a folder with more options for me so I do not know what to choose or where to type in ipconfig/all anywhere (I guessed & tried System Information and typed it in, it did a search and found nothing).

I have gone into my network connections previously and refreshed my ip address several times, I unistalled and reinstalled my wireless card driver. it says the device is working properly.

Yet still today, I can only get a page to open using an Ethernet cord, while my wireless light is still blue & my wireless connections still say excellent connection to my unsecure linksys router (which I had NO problem connecting to before I reformatted using my restore cds, has I've done in the past).

Please let me know what I can try (& what step(s) I'm missing).

Thank you!

Zee

Honor Student
Zee24
Message 4 of 7 (3,168 Views)

I forgot to mention, I also tried to boot in Safe Mode with Networking and was not able to open a web page then either.

Honor Student
Zee24
Message 5 of 7 (3,165 Views)

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Lindsey Rebecca>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : lindseyrebecca
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.mn.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
 Connection
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-35-D3-9E-BE

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.mn.comcast.net.
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-9F-82-94-28
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.119
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.77.134
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, May 09, 2011 8:25:28 PM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:25:28 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Lindsey Rebecca>

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 7 (3,157 Views)

Hi,

Could you post back with a list of all the Security Software you have installed on the notebook.

In the meantime, to rule out any interference from Malware, download and install the free versions of MBAM and SUPERAntiSpyware on the links below.

MBAM

SUPERAntiSpyware

When installed, run full scans with both these utilities.  Post back with the results.

Next, in the guide on the following link is the process to set up a Static IP Address.  Do not start at the beginning, start from the heading 'Assign the IP Address'.  Do not have the Ethernet connection plugged in and make sure your wireless connection is active.

http://www.hotcomm.com/faq/faq_staticipxp.asp

Enter the following values.

IP Address                                192.168.1.120

Subnet Mask                             255.255.255.0

Default Gateway                        192.168.1.1

Also, assign the following DNS Server Addresses

Preferred DNS Server               208.67.222.222

Alternate DNS Server                208.67.220.220

After entering these values, remember to click OK to each open Window, before restarting the notebook.

Check if you can now open web pages correctly.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 7 of 7 (3,145 Views)

The configuration for the ethernet connection looks good but you should do it when are connected by the wireless connection. I mean, turn off the ethernet connection, turn on the wireless one and reboot..

You can also try the above from DavidPK with the Open DNS servers.. Your wireless card is pretty old, install the newest drivers: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18408&ProdId=1637&lang=eng&OSVersion=...

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation