Question
Student
Message 1 of 4 (1,783 Views)

WIRELESS ONLY CONNECTS TO "LOCAL ONLY"

I AM AT MY DAUGHTERS HOUSE AND MY LAPTOP DOES CONNECT TO THE INTERNET, IT ONLY CONNECTS TO "LOCAL ONLY". EVERY OTHER LAPTOP CONNECTS BUT NOT MINE, WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?
Grad Student
Message 2 of 4 (1,781 Views)

Re: WIRELESS ONLY CONNECTS TO "LOCAL ONLY"

usually its one of 2 things. if they have a secured(Password protected) network it usally means you entered the wrong password, or it can be your anti-virus software is blocking you.  tell me more about your daufghters network if you can

All of my posts reflect my opinion only and not of HP.
Student
Message 3 of 4 (1,745 Views)

I just bought hp pavilion dv4 series more than 1 weeks ago and encountered the similar problem "Wireless Acess : Local Only or Limited Access".

My house got few laptops ( Apple, Lenovo and Dell) and never had such problem,

I contacted HP Technical Support and has been advise to restore back my system to previous days. After restoring, wireless successful access to internet. But after I restart the PC, the problem occured again.

Sometime when I surfing internet, the wireless suddenly changed the status to Access :Local Only if I left my PC on idle mode for a while.

Not sure whether is HP Wireless application bug or Internet Explorer and  Anti-Virus protecion issue.

Please help... thanks

Master's Graduate
Message 4 of 4 (1,698 Views)

Try a power cycle of the modem and the router.

Anytime a new device connects to a network ti should be power cycled so the ISP can resend IP information.

unplug modem and router, leave unplugged for 2 minutes, plug back in, reconnect to network after it comes online.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation