Question
WLAN disabled in HP Wirless Assistant
Replies (73)

Honor Student
veteran
Message 31 of 74 (54,277 Views)

Re: WLAN disabled in HP Wireless HP Pavilion lap tops

Sorry, your problem is really complex in comparison to the one i faced on dv4-1283cl entertainment model recently just after 2 months of purchase. i will discuss with my friends too if any one has a suggestion.Thanks for your clarification.

Honor Student
xenon68
Message 32 of 74 (53,872 Views)

Re: WLAN disabled in HP Wirless Assistant

any solutions on this yet?  my daughters tx1000 has had the problem from a couple of months after we got it.  i have purchased new cards and everything.

only the blue tooth shows up as enabled or disabled when putting the switch on or off... no WLAN to be found anywhere.  can't reinstall it nothing...

Student
ksusman
Message 33 of 74 (53,735 Views)

Re: WLAN disabled in HP Wireless Assistant

We had the same problem after our HP with Vista returned from an HP under warranty repair for fixing a heating sensor.

We never had the problem before..not sure why.

Here was the solution that worked for us:

Control Panel / Network Connections :

(1) Right-Click on the Wireless Connections Icon

(2) Click on Properties.

(3) Click on the Configure Button.

(4) Click on the Power Management Tab.

(5) Uncheck the first box (presuming it is checked) that is labeled:

"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

(6) Turn machine OFF.

(7) Re-verify Bluetooth / Internet switch is set to "ON".

(8)  Turn machine BACK ON -- with any luck your light will come back on

and you will now be able to re-connect to your wireless network.

Student
maladana
Message 34 of 74 (53,583 Views)

The solution is simple, at least for XP. I had the same problem and I've read somewhere that all you need to do is to change some setting in bios setup (restart computer and pres F10 then go to built in device settings). For my hp6830s I had to change wlan/lan switching option to disabled. Maybe on your laptop that option is named differently, but just try one by one.
Intern
HP_T3CH
Message 35 of 74 (53,554 Views)

Hi try this..

Try uninstalling the wireless card from the device manager under network adapters. Ignore the new hardware detected if it comes up. Restart the notebook then have it auto detect by windows. Install it by clicking install recomended drivers and softwares. The wlan button will be off. Turn it on and wlan will be enabled. It worked for me with a Pavillion DV6

Student
echo888
Message 36 of 74 (52,995 Views)

Re: WLAN disabled in HP Wirless Assistant, DO NOT BUY HP EVER AGAIN!

I don't know if this is helpful to anyone or not, but I though I'd post my experience (and SUCCESS) with this problem. A couple weeks ago, my Wireless Assistant seemed to stop working. I couldn't get on the internet. My Device Manager didn't even show that I had a wireless card anymore, therefore, I couldn't even go through the brain damage of updating drivers, etc etc. While searching the help topics tonight, I went to Program sand Features and uninstalled HP Wireless Assistant. Then I used the recovery console to selectively choose to "repair" HP Wireless Assistant, which basically just reinstalled it. I restarted my computer, and VOILA! I now have a functioning HP Wireless Assistant, my wireless card is now detected in the Device Manager, the blue light on the wireless switch comes on, and I am (obviously) able to connect to the internet.

I don't know how long it will work, but in a matter of moments, the multi-week frustrations of dealing with HP and their expired enhanced warrantee option, for motherboard replacement....well, I won't go on. We all know the frustrations of working with HP to fix this problem. I just thought you might want to give it a try also.

I have an HP Pavillion dv2210us.

Good luck and be well....

Student
mwpony
Message 37 of 74 (52,759 Views)

I've been having the same issues with my tx2125us tablet PC.  After uninstalling/reinstalling drivers for the wireless card, multiple reboots, system restores, etc., I think I finally fixed the problem. 

First, the wireless card disappeared from the normal view in device manager. I right-clicked on the device manager and was able to select View > Hidden devices. This allowed me to see that my wireless card was there but that there was an issue installing the driver during bootup.

I uninstalled the HP Wireless Assistant software, rebooted, and now I'm not having any issues with my wireless.  I don't intend to reinstall the HP Wireless Assistant software again!

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread and gave me clues on how to fix this issue.

Margo

Student
ginalyn
Message 38 of 74 (52,660 Views)

Sigh.  I have dv6000, too.  It's 26 months old and this is so frustrating.  I have spent hours looking up for solutions to make the **bleep** thing work but heck I only ended up pissed!  Wireless Assistant is no where to be found.  WLAN is disabled.  No bluetooth adapters.  Phoned the HP Tech and told me my warranty is up.  Now I have to decide wether to buy a new laptop or send it over to HP to fix it or can I actually trust them to fix this.

Student
guyuk
Message 39 of 74 (52,220 Views)

Re: WLAN disabled in HP Wireless Assistant, DO NOT BUY HP EVER AGAIN!

[ Edited ]
Thanks, it seems to have worked for me after countess time "chatting" with HP. I removed the wireless assistant, restarted and reinstalled it. After 3 restarts, I still have wireless! ...... and then I didn't!! I have now just uninstalled the assistant and all seems well.
Message Edited by guyuk on 10-11-2009 04:00 AM
Student
ghazanfar
Message 40 of 74 (51,719 Views)

There is a small button next to your power button on the laptop which controls the hp wirless assistant. Sometimes you can switch it off by mistake which disables your wireless.

All you need to do is put back the button on and Bingo!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation