Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi everyone, I bought a DV6 in 2011. I got a weird issue a few days ago. I usually browsed on Internet normally on my laptop and everything was fine. But one day, I unplugged the AC adapter from my laptop and I started to experience a very weak wifi internet connection. At this moment I thought something's wrong with my ISP so I called them. After troubleshooting, they stated that the problem comes from my laptop. Randomly, I just plugged the AC adapter from laptop and everything was fine, I mean worked normally :robotsurprised:. But I unplugged the AC adapter the problem came back:catsurprised:. So I wanted to know if there is a relation between the wifi connection strenght and the AC adapter/battery. Please help me :Crying:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey thebrave007,

I'm sorry you're running into this issue with the wireless signal. 

There is a power setting you can change which may help.

1. Click Start

2. Type 'power'

3. Click on Power Options

4. Click on the 'Change plan settings' link next to the selected plan.

5. Click Change Advanced Power Settings

6. Expand Wireless Adapter Settings

7. Expand Power Saving Mode

8. Change On Battery: to Maximum Performance -- After making this change, you'll have stronger wireless strength, but you'll notice your battery performance decrease.

AdvPowerWifi.jpg

Let me know if that helps or if you have any questions 🙂

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi

Please update the Bios, Wireless driver from HP website and have it checked.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

I did it the same issue persists. I also re-checked with my ISP but without be able to change the situation....:smileysad:

HP Recommended

HI

Have you tried doing a system restore to the date where unit was working fine.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

Hey thebrave007,

I'm sorry you're running into this issue with the wireless signal. 

There is a power setting you can change which may help.

1. Click Start

2. Type 'power'

3. Click on Power Options

4. Click on the 'Change plan settings' link next to the selected plan.

5. Click Change Advanced Power Settings

6. Expand Wireless Adapter Settings

7. Expand Power Saving Mode

8. Change On Battery: to Maximum Performance -- After making this change, you'll have stronger wireless strength, but you'll notice your battery performance decrease.

AdvPowerWifi.jpg

Let me know if that helps or if you have any questions 🙂

HP Recommended

Thx guys...I did it and I will let u know if the issue occurs again during the next few days. . .

HP Recommended

How's that WiFi strength now?

HP Recommended

The wifi signal is stable at this time...Thx for ur help

HP Recommended

Great! Glad to hear it was resolved! Thanks for confirming 🙂

HP Recommended

Seen a few of these posts weak wifi signal and not many resolutions.  Try this.  I called an old wise Tech from my old job.  He told me it usually means the power needs boosting on wifi.  To change laptop power settings from HP recommended to High performance.  I did it and, so far, it has worked for me.  Try it.  Might chew up battery cycles, but better than the alternative.  I have mine plugged in anyway.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.