Widi software upgrade not compatable but is listed for my for machine - CANNOT INSTALL (264 Views)
Intern
DennyC
Message 1 of 7 (264 Views)
Accepted Solution

Widi software upgrade not compatable but is listed for my for machine - CANNOT INSTALL

I have a DV6t-7000 Quad Edition CTO laptop with intel core i7-3610QM Processor running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  It is Widi compatible and is running version 3 of the Widi software.  The HP website lists an update for Widi (version 4) and when I try to install, I get "Installation Aborted".  "Platform is not compatable with Intel Widi or the application is in use".  Does anybody know how to get around this?  More info:  If I do a check for updates after lauching Widi version 3, it sends me to the Intel website and says that there are updates for my Intel HD 4000 Grapics, and my wifi adaptor.  Both of these are newer than which is listed on the HP website.  Intel also recommends to on ly use drivers that are approved by the OEM.  Well, I'm using the latest drivers that HP offers.  So, on a whim, I tried to install the suggested updates from Intel, and alas, they wouldn't install saying they are not approved for my hardware.  So, how does anyone use their Widi?  Or maybe the better question is does anyone bother with this?  It does appear that we have other options such as Apple TV, CromeCast etc.

HP
TwoPointOh
Message 2 of 7 (236 Views)

Re: Widi software upgrade not compatable but is listed for my for machine - CANNOT INSTALL

Hi DennyC. If it is the proper software for your WiDi, then the 2nd part of the message "...or the application is in use" strikes me as resolvable. Did you first uninstall the version 3 of the software and reboot before trying to install version 4x? If so, perhaps a selective start up before the install might help. Try the 2nd document attached and remove all programs that load on start up, and reboot and try the install again.

Intel Wireless Display Software: ( I assume this is the driver you are referring to)
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-120022-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Preventing Programs from Opening When Windows 7 Starts:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01853753&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5276635&tmp...

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Intern
DennyC
Message 3 of 7 (233 Views)

Re: Widi software upgrade not compatable but is listed for my for machine - CANNOT INSTALL

Terry - that is the correct link for the version that i'm trying to update to.  No - I did not uninstall version 3.  I do think you are on the right track in that I think the program is in use, but it is not listed in start-up or msconfig.  I read on the intel forum that you need to shut off wifi, so I did try that, but it did not work.  Not sure i got all wireless shut down as all I did hit my wifi on/off button.  I must say that I am reluctant to uninstall the version I have since I do believe I can get it to work with Netgear's adaptor.

HP
TwoPointOh
Message 4 of 7 (225 Views)

Thanks DennyC. If there is no 'start up' item then it must be a 'service' running. If you are not having problems with your Wireless Display, I don't know that it makes sense to update the software. If however you are adventurous, I have included a post with instructions (and warnings) about disabling Windows services. I don't know exactly which one exactly is responsible for Wireless Display so use at your own peril. You can go through the list of services and there should be enough details there to determine.

How to Start or Disable Services in Windows 7:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2495-services-start-disable.html

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Intern
DennyC
Message 5 of 7 (211 Views)

I like your thinking.  If it ain't broke...don't fix it.  Usually, I'm pretty **bleep** about keeping things updated, but in this case, I'm just going to leave well enough alone.  I do think that HP should be a little more informative about installing updates.  Obviously, their instructions to update always work...at least in my case.

Thanks again for your help and responses.

Intern
DennyC
Message 6 of 7 (192 Views)

UPDATE: - HP Support Assistant today told me that my laptop needed a very important update.  Turns out to be Widi.  So, like I usually do, I let it do its thing.  Download was around 205MB and it started to install, but failed to complete.  HPSA showed a black X.  So I exited everything, rebooted and tried again.  Same result.  I then decided to try it one last time, only this time I connected my laptop to my dock and shut off wifi.  Still the same thing...failed to install, but now, HPSA seems to be happy and not showing me the red exclamation mark saying that I need this critical update.  So, what's up with that?  Currently my system did not receive the new software, and now it is NOT flagging me to get it.  Currently still have verision 3, albeit I'm not using it.  I should mention that I was thinking of buying a receiver and trying widi, but I don't think it is ready for primetime.  Too many issues.

Intern
DennyC
Message 7 of 7 (174 Views)

UPDATE - Problem fixed.  I ended up downloading the soft pack for the widi update from HP's website and attempted to install it one more time and I got a message saying that the graphics driver cannot find or load the necessary components.  So, i then downloaded and installed the soft pack graphics driver listed for my machine.  That install was done on top of the existing one and then I went backand  tried one last time to run the widi soft pack update (version 4.2).  This time it installed with no problem.  It appears something happened to my graphics driver.  My system has an on board chipset  Intel Graphics HD 4000 as well as an above board NVIDIA GeForce GT650M/2GB GDDR5.  I'm happy to report all is well again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation