Question

Honor Student
hotmark777
Message 1 of 444 (61,578 Views)

Wifi Problem with my brand new HP laptop envy dv6 windows 8

Hello i just bought a brand new envy dv6, and i am having problems keeping a stable connection with my cisco router 03813. It isnt a problem with the internet itself as i have my old sony vaio right next to me having a full signal and never cutting while my hp cuts, becomes weak, many times.

can someone tell me what i can do to solve this really bothersome issue

thank you

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 2 of 444 (61,508 Views)

Re: Wifi Problem with my brand new HP laptop envy dv6 windows 8

Hey hotmark777,

It sounds like you have an issue with your WiFi drivers if your notebook keeps dropping the WiFi connection while other computers in the house are working fine.

The first suggestion I have for you is to check your wireless driver version to make sure you have the latest version. I could provide you with a link to the correct one, but I will need to know which exact product number you have. The easiest way to find out your product number on Windows 8 is to press FN+ESC on your keyboard and a small window will pop up and give you that information. I'll need your product number and your BIOS version (just in case). 

You could also go ahead and let me know which wireless driver version you have. To find your wireless driver version number on Windows 8,

1. Press Windows Key + C to bring up the Charms Bar.

2. Click Search. Type in 'device manager'. Click Settings.

3. Click on Device Manager in the results on the left.

4. Expand Network Adapters. There will be 2-5 items listed under Network Adapters. Double click on the one that says 'WiFi' in the name. (IMPORTANT: Like models can have many different manufacturers for the wireless card. It is important that you and I choose the right one for your particular notebook. Some examples would be Qualcomm, Ralink, Intel, or Broadcom. It is important to let me know which manufacturer is listed on the WiFi line under Network Adapters)

5. Click on the Driver tab. Make note of the driver version number and post it along with the manufacturer name in your reply. If you're uncertain at all, you could just take a screenshot of the Device Manager with the Network Adapters section expanded.

Once I know your product number, BIOS version and what wireless driver version your notebook is on, I can provide you with a link to the latest versions if necessary. 

Since Windows 8 came out back in October of 2012, and this model is one that was designed around the same time, there have been a few driver updates. This could definitely be causing the problem.

Please let me know if you have any questions! I'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Top Student
mikeklepacz
Message 3 of 444 (61,404 Views)

I am having the exact same problem. I have this problem on every single network I have ever tried to connect this laptop too. Sometimes it won't even detect my wireless network but it see's others in the apartment complex. My other HP laptop that has windows 7 never ever has connection issues. 

I have a Qualcomm Atheros AR 9485

Driver version 10.0.0.212 Date Sept 28 2012 

The laptops product number is D1D18UA#ABA

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 4 of 444 (61,401 Views)

Hey mikeklepacz, 

I'm sorry you're running into this wireless issue. I think this may be a pretty simple fix.

What is your BIOS version? Press FN + ESC and look for 'F.##'. Let me know what that version number is. It could be that the BIOS is just out-of-date because a new version came out recently.

Looking forward to your reply :smileyhappy:

Top Student
mikeklepacz
Message 5 of 444 (61,398 Views)

F.22.... I don't know jack about computers go easy :smileywink:
Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 6 of 444 (61,393 Views)

:smileyhappy:  Download and install this BIOS version.

During the installation, your notebook will restart on its own. Allow it to restart and when you get back to the Windows Start screen, use the wireless as you would normally for a while (however long it usually takes to drop/disconnect?) Let me know if you run into any issues installing that version and what the results are, when you get a chance please :smileyhappy:

Top Student
mikeklepacz
Message 7 of 444 (61,391 Views)

thank you very much I will let you know.
Top Student
mikeklepacz
Message 8 of 444 (61,390 Views)

ok it said that this BIOS was not for my notebook.
Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 9 of 444 (61,383 Views)

Ok in that case we need to reset the TCP/IP stack. This is simple too though :smileyhappy:

Reset TCP/IP

1. Press Windows key + X

2. Click Command Prompt (Admin Mode)

3. Type 'netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt'

4. Press Enter and close Command Prompt

5. Restart the comptuer: Windows key + C  >  Click Settings  >  Click Power  > Click Restart

When it's back to the Windows Start screen test it and let me know how it goes.

Intern
Vince-K
Message 10 of 444 (61,376 Views)

Are you still having a problem with your wifi on your new laptop?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation