Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Well, I spoke too soon. I again am having connectivity issues with wifi.

Tonight my HP auto downloaded some updates and after that, not sure if its related, my wifi was intermittent.

I chatted with the HP Tech who was useless this time and kept saying either the adaptor was faulty and it was a hardware issue or that the controller of the network adaptor was faulty and needed repair. I disagree with both. I pushed that he reinstall the driver and he showed me that the driver was properly still installed (at elast it looked like it was as I am NO expert).

I asked for a case manager to call me back which will be done in 24-48 hours. In the meantime a service report was completed and I will receive a box to send my laptop in for repair.

I FEAR this is not going to be a long drawn out process and that one repair will be all that it takes.  I foreshadow though this being ongoing for months. 

I still will be searching the net in the meantime for others with this issue as I know I am not the only one.  I want to know what others did to solve this.

I also now am going on one hour where I have not been disconnected which leads me to the thought yet again, that it is definitely not a hardware issue. 

I will keep you posted.  Please let me know if this happens to you.  I truly wonderr if it had anything to do with my updates installed tonight.

HP Recommended

Well, I guess even I spoke too soon. Yesterday I too faced intermediate connections. I disabled the network adapter and re-enabled it to fix the problem-it worked fine for some time, and I got disconnected again. I also noticed that the connection remained stable when the charger was plugged in and when the battery level was above 50-60%. This leads me to thinking that the network adapter is not getting sufficient power when the battery level is below 50%.

Please keep me posted if you find any fix for this.

HP Recommended

Well, nothing has worked so far and Ive given up almost. 

I sent my laptop to HP and 2 techs looked at it. The first tech almost sent it back doing nothing claiming he could not replicate the issue.  I sent a long letter explaining in detail everythig and not to replace the card with the same Intel card.

I finally spoke with a manager and he replaced the card (with the same exact card claiming thats all this laptop would accept) although he too could not replicate the issue.  I have been in touch with my case manager all throughout the time. 

The laptop was received this past week, I used it one day and it was fine but the next day, wifi drops either every 5 seconds or every 10 minutes...its bizarre.

I have HAD IT completely. This laptop is new and I barely can use it.

No one, neither HP or Intel can solve this porblem once and for all.  I either want my money back or a new, completely new HP laptop with a completely different network adaptor card. Period, the end.  

I didn't spend my hard earned money to research this wifi connectivity issue (that HP claims doesnt happen but Intel acknowledges), mail my laptop back and forth, and spend hours calling and emailing techs and case managers explaining the issue ad nauseum.

HP Recommended

I've been trying to chase down this slow wireless issue on my k025dx laptop as well... I use linux.  There is ABSOLUETLY A HARDWARE DEFECT in either Intel's 2230 wireless chipset and/or in the way HP has implemented the chipset on this motherboard.  Fortunately, in linux I can tweak the driver's properties and "hope" it gets fixed some day.  For you Windows users:  good luck getting it resolved.  If you finally get a driver version that works... get it backed up and never upgrade it.  THERE IS A REASON THIS MODEL OF LAPTOP IS SO EASY TO PURCHASE AS A REFURBISHED DEAL... IT HAS FLAWS.  Most buyers are just LESS STUBBORN and less optimisic and return defective products right away and move on to something that works.  I wish I had that mentality.  I picked up my k025dx laptop refurbished and thought "I'll be able to get this wireless issue resolved and save $250 off retail".  Joke is on me.. so far.  I'll get it eventually.

Here are some hints to get it working.  In Linux, I'm playing with various "driver" settings:  I'm trying different power saving parameters, disabling wireless-n, etc.  The reason the chipset is "slow" is because it is having problems transmitting (TX) and receiving (RX) packets.  I'm gettting under 1 Mb/s at a distance of 30 ft and about 4 Mb/s at 2 ft from the wireless access point.  So it may be a issue with power saving at the driver level.  If it has something to do with how much power is available from the motherboard while on AC or battery, that would be a hardware defect from HP (not enough juice to power the chipset) and no amount of hand waving will every make it work.  RETURN the laptop if that is the case.  Of course your return period will have expired through HP by then... (by design).

Am I a little pessimistic here...? Sure.  But in 2014 laptops should "just work".

Of course, if HP would like to recall the wireless chipset and swap in another module, I've got my screwdriver handy and would be more than happy to make the switch and report back.

HP Recommended
As I previously mentioned, Intel admits on their website that the combo 2230N wireless network adaptor and windows 8 64 bit have major wifi issues that so far, they cannot correct even with new drivers.

Mine STILL does not work and its being replaced.
HP Recommended
PS I bought mine new and not refurb. Buying it either way doesn't create or solve this wifi issue.
HP Recommended

That's why I'd like them to offer a different wireless chipset to us affected by this poor design.  Just send it to us with a small screwdriver and let us do the rest.  Don't loose any screws though... "replacement" screw on the laptop case are $27 EACH.  Kind of redifines the word screw.  I jokingly tried to buy 1000 screws with an online sales lady at HP... and she was ready to charge me $27,000 🙂

HP Recommended

Except that HP has advised me repeatedly that the only network adaptor that would work with this configuration is the Intel Network Adaptor 2230N....not that I believe it but thats what they said.

HP Recommended

If that is really the case (their "repair" manual lists a few alternative internal wifi adapters) and HP is being honest with you (good luck!), then this is an INSURMOUNTABLE flaw and they're going to need (in my case) a way to sell "refurbished" refurbished laptops.  What a pity: this model has an awesome screen and aesthetics.  I'm searching for other models of used wifi modules on ebay to try it out.  But I'm under the gun as I've only got a 90 day window to return it.

As for the chipset only working with this specific laptop: perhaps intel's wireless chipset "offloads" much of the actual work to the CPU or motherboard: in essence the small replaceable module is just an antenna?  About the only way one will ever find out is to get on the Intel open source driver mailing list and ask around... assuming their employees are at liberty to discuss such details.

HP Recommended

Hi Davisesq212,

I have same problem. The wifi disconnets, and dont even show to re-connect. sometimes it becomes Limited connection.

Do you have the name of the driver which was downloaded and installed? so I could do it manually.

Otherwise, where to connect with HP live chat?

Thanks.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.