Question

Honor Student
Tigeroo
Message 1 of 71 (10,133 Views)
Accepted Solution

Wifi turning on and off & treble/bass indicator issues in HP Pavilion dv8t-1000 CTO

I bought a HP Pavilion dv8t-1000 CTO in December.  In less than a month, a harddrive failed and a new one was supplied under the warranty.

But now there are new problems. First, the Treble/Bass indicator keeps popping up for no reason and the bar keeps increasing/decreasing. Then there is the Wifi issue. It seems that my Wifi keeps going out for no reason. I thought the two problems were connected. But I'm starting to see that my Wifi goes out only when the laptop is moved. Just the slightest movement will cause it to go out, BUT it doesn't happen every time the laptop is moved.

I've also noticed that when these issues are happening, the Mute and/or the Wifi icon on the media smart bar (above the keyboard) won't match the icons on the screen. Twice the Mute icon was red on the media smart bar, but the volume was on. A couple of times the Wifi went nuts and turned off, due to movement, and then the Wifi light turned back to blue on the media smart bar, but the wifi was still off.

One time both the mute and the wifi icons on the smart bar didn't match what it said on the screen. Wifi was turned off, but the icon was blue. The speakers were on, but the mute icon was red. I turned the wifi back on and the mute icon on the smart bar, went from red to white.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Any thoughts? Ideas? I really need to get this fixed since the Wifi problem is happening at least 20 times a day.

Student
shaunmorrell
Message 2 of 71 (9,863 Views)

Re: Wifi turning on and off & treble/bass indicator issues in HP Pavilion dv8t-1000 CTO

I have exactly the same problem and HP think I'm pulling their leg?

My Primary HDD also failed within the first week!

HP did try to help by uninstalling some services and reinstalling others but it came back within a day?

The other day I was restarting and just got a deep blue, then red, then green, then gray scale series of colors flashing on my screen? I could only get the computer to work by taking out the battery?

It's a good computer but has some serious malfunctions?

HP please help.

Intern
jellowood
Message 3 of 71 (9,793 Views)

Re: Wifi turning on and off & treble/bass indicator issues in HP Pavilion dv8t-1000 CTO

Exactly the same problem here. Wireless light goes blue then red (enabled and disabled) while a bar pops up on the screen that resembles the volume control but looks smaller and chopped up. What the heck is going on? Wondering if the touch bar is malfunctioning all together

Student
brandonjelinek
Message 4 of 71 (9,761 Views)

[ Edited ]

Both my coworker and i have this exact same issue.  You will be typing away and then all of a sudden the trebble and base start sliding up and down and the wireless enables and disables itself.   I tried a bios update but after a reboot now i cant get the wireless or bluetooth buttons to turn on at all..

a bit frustrating for sure.

any attempt to upgrade the bios... to .21 or .27  result in all media buttons disabled.  no option to enable in bios.  and no wireless or bluetooth by default.

Honor Student
aergqetbetb
Message 5 of 71 (9,685 Views)

My laptop's doing this too.  The Wifi turns on and off by itself.

Student
dmeister
Message 6 of 71 (9,475 Views)

My dv8t started behaving the same way (wi-fi on/off and treble indicator showing after I installed the bittorrent client.  I removed the client just in case it installed some worm but the problem remains.  Of course, if it did install a worm then uninstalling it wouldn't remove the malevolent code.  After removal of bittorent, I'm still experiencing this annoying behavior.

Student
Greenbroke
Message 7 of 71 (9,365 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am having the same issue on the DV8T-1000...it comes on 20-30 times a day and turns the wireless off. Then all of a sudden I black-screen and can't do anything except shut down.  I've had driver issues and all kinds of other problems with this computer.  It would be nice if an HP rep could respond to this query. 

Intern
jellowood
Message 8 of 71 (9,339 Views)

[ Edited ]

My guess is HP won't respond until they have a fix but I'm thinking there isn't a fix because its a hardware flaw with the bar itself. Thats my two cents

Intern
jellowood
Message 9 of 71 (9,259 Views)

Bump

Intern
jellowood
Message 10 of 71 (9,204 Views)

Bump

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation