Wifi wont turn on in windows 8 (1161 Views)
Intern
aiv1bct
Message 1 of 21 (1,161 Views)

Wifi wont turn on in windows 8

hello i am using HP pavilion  dv6-7104ea, last night i installed windows 8 and i am having some problems with my wifi, thing is when i press wifi button (f12 on my laptop) on the key board it just wont turn on, the led on the key supposed to turn white but it stays amber all the time, i uninstalled driver and restart the laptop but still wont work, i tried hard reset (removed battery and pressed power button for 30 seconds) still same problem. i have windows 7 on other drive. and in windows 7 everything works fine, its just windows 8 problem. please help me with this problem. thank you.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 21 (1,146 Views)

Re: Wifi wont turn on in windows 8

Install the wifi button driver. That should do the trick.

Best regards,

erico 

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
aiv1bct
Message 3 of 21 (1,145 Views)

ya it certainly did a trick lol, now when i press the wifi button (f12) it turns flight mode on and off. what should i do now, please tell me. 

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 21 (1,131 Views)

[ Edited ]

Uninstall the wifi driver and reinstall it.

Did you install all Windows 8 drivers or verify that all were present after the upgrade to Windows 8?

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Intern
aiv1bct
Message 5 of 21 (1,127 Views)

yes i have uninstalled the wifi drivers and it got installed again when i restarted the pc. and yes i have installed all the current drivers of windows 8. its only windows 8 problem, i have windows 7 aswell and everything is working good. please help me with this. 

Intern
aiv1bct
Message 6 of 21 (1,122 Views)

here is the screen shot where it suppposed to show on/off option near wifi as it shows in near the flight mode. but there is no option here like that. and thats why i have to use wired connection.Untitled.png

Provost
erico
Message 7 of 21 (1,104 Views)

aiv1bct wrote:

yes i have uninstalled the wifi drivers and it got installed again when i restarted the pc. and yes i have installed all the current drivers of windows 8. its only windows 8 problem, i have windows 7 aswell and everything is working good. please help me with this. 

You said "it got installed again when i restarted the pc". Don't let Windows install the driver! 

You can control that. Uninstall the driver, download the correct version from the HP support portal and install it yourself.

The same thing applies when you do Windows updates. Don't install the optional hardware updates that Windows suggests.  Always get the hardware updates from the HP support web portal.

Best regards,

erico

Intern
aiv1bct
Message 8 of 21 (1,103 Views)

could you please tell me how can i stop wifi drivers being installed?? it just gets intalled when restart laptop. please help. 

Provost
erico
Message 9 of 21 (1,103 Views)

The simplest thing for you to do is to go into the Device Manager, find the wireless adapter and right click it. Select uninstall device. Windows will ask you if it is OK. Agree. Do not right click and select scan for hardware changes. that prompts Windows to find a driver. Now you can find the driver that you downloaded for the wireless adapter and double click on it to install it yourself.

Windows always asks when it installs drivers for devices. You can always stop the installation. That is what the morse cursor and a right click are for. Just watch when it happens and don't just accept it.

I do not let Windows installations control what gets installed on my desktop PCs,  laptops or netbooks. The only driver installations I do not concern myself with is  for devices like USB flash drives.  Everyone is different. I also do not let Windows automatically update itself nor do I let the HP Support Assistant  update the notebook on its own.

Best regards,

erico

Intern
aiv1bct
Message 10 of 21 (1,101 Views)

thanks erico for that info. can you please send me a direct link to download the best wifi driver for my laptop. Its HP pavilion  dv6-7104ea and windows 8. please

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation