Question

Honor Student
RPGillespie
Message 1 of 4 (3,038 Views)

Windows 7 WLAN "Identifying - No Internet Access"

Hello,

I have a frustrating problem with my laptop.

It is a Compaq Presario CQ60 433US that originally ran Windows Vista 64 Bit, but was upgraded to Windows 7 64 Bit.

When I upgraded to Windows 7, the wireless card became unbearably slow (around .3 Mbps download/upload times).  I figured this was a driver issue, so I downloaded the Windows 7 driver for the card from HP and installed it.  Now, the Wireless Card (an Atheros AR5007 802.11 b/g) won't even connect to my home network. It always says: "Identifying - no internet access"

Every once in a blue moon, it will decide to work for 5 minutes or so, and when it does work, it's speed is around 15 Mbps -- much better. However, 99% of the time, it doesn't work, it's stuck saying "identifying - no internet access"

If I reinstall the Vista 64-bit driver, then it works like crap again (.3 Mbps), but at least it works.

Am I doomed to use my ethernet cable forever?

RPGillespie

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 4 (3,034 Views)

Re: Windows 7 WLAN "Identifying - No Internet Access"

RPGillespie wrote:

Hello,

I have a frustrating problem with my laptop.

It is a Compaq Presario CQ60 433US that originally ran Windows Vista 64 Bit, but was upgraded to Windows 7 64 Bit.

When I upgraded to Windows 7, the wireless card became unbearably slow (around .3 Mbps download/upload times).  I figured this was a driver issue, so I downloaded the Windows 7 driver for the card from HP and installed it.  Now, the Wireless Card (an Atheros AR5007 802.11 b/g) won't even connect to my home network. It always says: "Identifying - no internet access"

Every once in a blue moon, it will decide to work for 5 minutes or so, and when it does work, it's speed is around 15 Mbps -- much better. However, 99% of the time, it doesn't work, it's stuck saying "identifying - no internet access"

If I reinstall the Vista 64-bit driver, then it works like crap again (.3 Mbps), but at least it works.

Am I doomed to use my ethernet cable forever?

RPGillespie

Take a look for a driver at the Czech Atheros website. I have generally found working drivers there. Here is a link to the best place to look in the website for your AR5007 wireless driver.

Best regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
RPGillespie
Message 3 of 4 (3,032 Views)

I saw that, and even downloaded the folder, but was unsure of how to install the drivers - I mean, there is no wizard or anything. Do you have to manually install the drivers?

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 4 (3,023 Views)

RPGillespie wrote:

I saw that, and even downloaded the folder, but was unsure of how to install the drivers - I mean, there is no wizard or anything. Do you have to manually install the drivers?

Yes.

Just type in devmgmt.msc in the start search box and press enter.

That will invoke the device manager. now just select network adapters (click on the triangle next to it to expand the section)  choose your wireless adapter, right click and select properties, then choose update driver software. Select Browse my Computer for software and path to where  you saved  the driver then select it to install it.

Best regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation