Question

Honor Student
DTrantham
Message 1 of 2 (7,482 Views)

Windows 8.1 and Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Adapter - No Wifi Connections - Fixed but wanted to share

I recently did the update to Windows 8.1 and it was wonderful.

Except it destroyed my wireless network.  After trying several APs/routers, and as many drivers as I could find, I was at my wit's end.  Nothing worked.  When I tried to connect to my AP, it would start Verifying, and then the keyboard indicator light  for Wifi would suddenly change from white to orange, and then back to white.  It couldn't ever connect.

I ended up misclicking on a different AP and it magically connected.  Wow, strange, right?

So I started digging.  At least in my case, if you have an Atheros based AP (my primary is a DLink DIR-615), and are trying to connect when the network type is set to N-only, this adapter cannot connect.

I changed mine to "NG-Mixed" and it connected.  I didn't have to change other settings.

So if you have a similar problem with that specific chipset (AR9485) take a look at your AP/router and see if your network mode is N-only.

Hopefully I'll save someone else some major headaches here.

Cheers!

Grad Student
SR_T
Message 2 of 2 (7,455 Views)

Re: Windows 8.1 and Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Adapter - No Wifi Connections - Fixed but wanted to shar

Can you provide the model name or product no. of your notebook?

Also you can check on the link below to see if HP has tested your notebook with Windows 8.1

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/windows-8/upgrade.html

I am an HP employee.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation