Windows 8 wifi not connecting (12210 Views)
Honor Student
btlockha
Message 1 of 10 (12,210 Views)

Windows 8 wifi not connecting

I upgraded my HP Pavilion dv5 to Windows 8 pro and now it won't connect to my schools WPA2 Enterprise Network. I've tried a numerous number of things to get it to work but it just won't connect. My wifi connects perfectly fine to every other network. Dell computers with windows 8 work perfectly fine so I suspect it might be a driver issue because I'm not the only one with a Windows 8 HP laptop that won't connect to my school's wifi.

My school's connection settings are attached below.

This document is written as an instruction to connect your Windows7 notebook to NCAT’s campus wireless network.

Step 1: using your mouse, left click the network icon once, shown in the red square, and then click  “Open Network and Sharing Center.”

Step 2: left click “Manage wireless networks.”

Step 3: left-click "Add."

Step 4: left-click "Manually create a network profile" in the popup window.

Step 5: enter “aggiestudent” as the “Network name”, select “WPA2-Enterprise” as the “Security type”,

select “AES” as “Encryption type,” and then click “OK.”

Step 6: click “Change connection settings” to make further settings.

Step 7: make sure “Connect automatically when this network is in range” is checked, and then click the “Security” tab.

Step 8: make sure “WPA2-Enterprise” is checked for “Security type”, “AES” is checked for “Encryption type”, “Microsoft: Protected EAP (PEAP)” is checked for “Choose a network authentication method,” and then click “Settings.”

Step 9: un-check “Validate server certificate”, select “Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP V2)” as “Select Authentication Method,” check “Enable Fast Reconnect” if not checked, and then click “Configure...”

Step 10: un-check “Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any)”, click  “OK” to close this Window, and then click “Ok” to close next Window.

Step 11: click “Advanced settings."

Step 12: check “Specify authentication mode”, select “User authentication”, and then click “Save credentials.”

Step 13: enter your NCAT email account and password, and then keep clicking “OK” to close all windows.

Step 14: After a few moments, click the network icon again, Windows will show connected' next to the aggiestudent. You are connected to our campus network now. If you have any questions or problems, feel free to call or stop by Helpdesk during our office hours.

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 2 of 10 (12,148 Views)

Hi btlockha,

Take a look at this document and let me know if it helps.

More than likely HP is not going to support hardware for W8 on any system purchased before Oct 1st 2011. Most W7 drivers will work in W8.
You can run the Upgrade assistant software, which will scan your PC and generate a report on what is currently installed on your PC is compatible with W8.

Please let me know if this helps resolve your issue.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
btlockha
Message 3 of 10 (12,145 Views)

Re: Windows 8 wifi not connecting

I tried what you suggested, but it says everything is compatible.

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 4 of 10 (12,122 Views)

Did you try the troubleshooting steps in the first link I provided? What were the results?
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Student
HPASSFCFH
Message 5 of 10 (2,414 Views)

hp network connetion error

HP
SuperMario1
Message 6 of 10 (2,397 Views)

Hello HPASSFCFH. Before I can assist you, I need to ask a few questions:

What is the name and model of the computer you are using?
Has this computer worked wireless in the past?
Have you tried connecting to multiple networks?

Please respond as soon as possible so we can start troubleshooting: I'm only here to help!

Mario

SuperMario1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Honor Student
whitedogschool
Message 7 of 10 (1,531 Views)

HP Pavilion Windows 8 lop-top wifi not connect to the school network

Honor Student
whitedogschool
Message 8 of 10 (1,530 Views)

hp pavilion windows 8

Honor Student
whitedogschool
Message 9 of 10 (1,521 Views)

my windowds 8 lop-top is not connecting with the networ

HP
Dunidar
Message 10 of 10 (1,501 Views)

Hello whitedogschool

I understand you are having issues connecting to your school network? I am providing you with a link to an HP Support document here titled HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 8). Follow the steps outlined in the document and you should be able to find your resolution.

I hope this answers your question. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation