Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi

I have a HP Envy dv6-7200sa Notebook (with windows 😎 and I am having trouble with my wireless adapter. It keeps disabling itself. This has been going on for about a fortnight where by I can be on the internet and then I loose my connection. It is not a problem with my wireless hub as I can still get on the internet on other devices. When i trouble shoot the issue I keep getting the message that the wifi adapter is disabled

I have not done any updates that may have caused any issues and can not keep restoring my notebook

Can anyone suggest anything that can resolve this issue for me?

Thank you

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello @Atmac ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand the wireless adapter in your notebook is disabling itself.

When this happens does the wireless light on your keyboard turn red or orange?

It would also help to know exactly which wireless adapter you are using. To find this you should be able to see the device in Device Manager under Network adapters. In here you can also see the status of the adapter. When it says the device is disabled you should see a small symbol that looks like a white circle with a black down arrow (see image below).

Once you have determined the wireless adapter try reinstalling the drivers from here: HP ENVY dv6-7200sa Notebook PC Drivers.

It could also be an issue with the wireless button. You can download the most recent driver for this here: HP Wireless Button Driver.

Let me know which adapter you have or if those suggestions worked. 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for your advice, but it still hasn't resolved the issue. My wifi adapter is Intel (R) Centrino (R) Wireless -N2230

<script src="chrome://hdv/content/hdv.js" type="application/javascript" charset="UTF-8"></script>
HP Recommended

Hey Atmac,

When this happens does the wireless light on your keyboard turn red or orange, or does the adapter show disabled in Device Manager.

I need more information about the symptoms before I can offer a valid resolution to the problem. What do you do to make the wireless connection work again when it kicks you offline?

Thanks. 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi. Not the wireless light on my keyboard stays white when it disables itself. I only realise and do the troubleshooter when the webpage says it doesn't work or just sits there when I am trying to move on. I can still go onto the internet wirelessly on my mobile phone and other tablets in the household when I loose the connection on my laptop

<script src="chrome://hdv/content/hdv.js" type="application/javascript" charset="UTF-8"></script>
HP Recommended

Hey Atmac,

Try the following fixes.

Start by going through these documents:
Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 😎
Troubleshooting Your Wireless Network and Internet Connection (Windows 7)

1. Powercycle the network:
1. Shut down your notebook.
2. Unplug the power to your router.
3. Unplug the power to your modem.
4. Wait at least 45 seconds.
5. Plug in the modem, and wait for it to come back online.
6. Plug in the router, and wait for it to come back online.
7. Turn on your notebook, and test your connection.

2. Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:
1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

3. Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

4. It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

5. Test an ethernet connection:
Self explanatory. Test if the issue persists on a wired connection to rule out the wireless adapter hardware so troubleshooting can be directed towards the right areas.

6. Test another connection:
Many people rule out their home network as an issue if another device is working on the same network. Networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network.

If those three steps do not resolve the issue, try this document published by Microsoft for networking issues: Wired and wireless network problems. You can change the operating system with the dropdown in the upper-right corner of the document.

Let me know how that goes.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for those options. I have tried them and still having issues 😞

Just did the troubleshooter and it came up with "Problem with the wireless adapter and access point"

I have still got my old wireless usb adapter (from an old laptop that wasn't wireless!) and things seem to work fine when that is plugged in.

HP Recommended

Hey Atmac,

If another adpater is working it's possible the internal antenna or adapter is having a problem.

Try reseating the adapter. You can see how to do this on page 57 of this guide: HP ENVY dv6 Notebook PC - Maintenance and Service Guide.

If that does not work I would suggest replacing the adapter. You can see a list of part numbers in the guide I just linked on the same page. You can order the parts from the HP Part Surfer web store or places like Amazon or eBay.

You can also contact HP Phone Support for service options. Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the following link to get the support number for your region: Phone Assist Worldwide.

Thanks. 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for that. I have just had to refresh the laptop as it seemed to have lost everything on a slow process. Just starting to put things back on and at the moment, the wireless problem seems to have disappeared. Its now left me unable to update window though!

HP Recommended

Hey Atmac,

Try following this guide for Windows update issues: Troubleshoot problems with installing updates.

Let me know if that helps. 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.