Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@McMallatt wrote:

And now the big question, do you see any gains from your effort?

I think so, I've successfully done the upgrade and also found out how to modify the BIOS, using tools etc..:)

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Ah, I see, the process.

HP Recommended

Okay, well I am no computer wiz, I know basics, small tricks, and a little bit about registry editing.

That's all, so I'm contemplating whether I should just return my HP pavillion since it has such

a terrible wireless card. ATHEROS has to be the worst I've ever had, I had a gateway from 3 years

ago that had 10x better connection than this laptop.

Right now I have a huge complaint about my Atheros AR9285

wifi card only supporting 2.4Ghz spectrum ONLY (not the 5Ghz spectrum).

My internet speed is PAINFULLY slow. Videos take forever to buffer and my class lectures download in 10 minutes

for 20MB! That's terrible. HP invests in some bad wireless cards

I just bought an intel Advanced-N 6200 wireless card and I went to look for more information

before installing it just in case it may void warranty. And sure enough my research led me to

find out that I won't be able to install it?

To edit the BIOS and save the settings seems risky for a novice like me, if someone can put this

into more detail I may keep my laptop.

Or is the shipping of my laptop to HP HQ to get an upgrade out of the question?

Is it expensive?

HP Recommended

Hi:

What model notebook do you have?  Oftentimes, HP offers 2-3 different supported WLAN cards. Look up your PC below and then see if there is a maintenance and service manual for it.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

That will list supported WLAN cards (and the countries that part number is good for) and if you see one you may want instead, just do a Google search on the part number and get it at the cheapest place you can. I often buy used but working cards on eBay for example.

You MUST get a card with the HP part number or it won't work in your PC.

Paul

HP Recommended

I can't find where to buy Broadcom or the other atheros card. Do I have to purchase directly from their site?

Hp doesn't seem to have a merchandise page for wifi cards.

I got this intel advanced-n 6200 card because it has the 5Ghz spectrum...

I'm really disappointed that I fell for one of those generic devices/hardware installs for my custom pc.

I didn't really think much about my wireless card when customizing it... Ehh...

It seems as though the EASIEST (aka cheapest) route for me right now is to override/edit my whitelist in

the bios with a bios editor (or request someone with the knowledge to) so I can still keep this laptop... 😕

HP Recommended

Hi:

Post your complete model number and I'll see what options you have.

Paul

HP Recommended

Dv6z-3100 Entertainment Notebook PC

Thank you, very much for your help, btw. 🙂

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I see you found my answer on your other post.

Buying a supported card presents less risk than modifying the BIOS. One wrong move and your notebook is toast.

I think you will find the Broadcom to be a better card than the one you currently have.  But that is just my opinion of course.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi. It seems that I can't open andy's tool download page. - something about homeland security.....

Can you provide an alternate link to the tool please.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi.

I got my whitelist issue fixed from the following website

http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Forum-Wifi-WWAN-Whitelist-Removal

Regards,

Alex.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.