Wireless Connection does not allow access to Internet in Windows XP (2236 Views)
Tutor
LawDown
Message 1 of 20 (2,236 Views)
Accepted Solution

Wireless Connection does not allow access to Internet in Windows XP

I have an HP Mini 110 - 1100 CTO PC.  Using HP Instant web I can connect to my home wireless network and access the Internet.  However, when I open the preinstalled Windows XP Home, the WLAN shows it is on, but I cannot access the Internet.  "Network connections" shows that I am connected to my Wireless network, but I cannot access the Internet in any fashion. I have tried repair connection without success.  I have restored the computer to initial settings, but no solution. Cisco says my router is fine.  They think the problem is HP software.  Can someone help me with this problem? 

Honor Student
HaoHu
Message 2 of 20 (2,200 Views)

Re: Wireless Connection does not allow access to Internet in Windows XP

You may click 'start', then type 'cmd', when the command window is opened, type in 'ipconfig'.

If the IP address displayed like '169.254.*.*', you may check the network connection's property.

Tutor
LawDown
Message 3 of 20 (2,187 Views)

I have done that:  obtained the computer's addresses through ipconfig.  I also "pinged" google successfully.  But still cannot access the Internet through either of the web browsers.  Give me some further instructions about what to look at the "properties" of and what to look for there.  Thank you.

Tutor
kevinm207
Message 4 of 20 (2,180 Views)

If you can successfully ping google.com, you're problem is probably localized to Internet Explorer.  I would start by checking two things.

1)  In Internet Explorer go to Tools > Internet Options > "Connections" tab and make sure their are no Dial-up connections listed.  If there are, and you don't use dial-up or a VPN, remove them.  While in the "Connections" tab also go to "LAN settings" and make sure everything is unchecked (especially "Use automatic configuration script" and "Proxy server").  Some people debate about whether "Automatically detect settings" should be checked or not, but I would advised to also uncheck it.  Click OK on each open Windows to save the settings, close Internet Explorer, and re-open.  See if you are now able to connect to the internet.

2)  If option "1" doesn't work, go back to Tools > Internet Options > "Advanced" tab.  Click on the "Reset..." button and follow the prompts to reset Internet Explorer to it's default settings.  *This will disabled any installed add-ons/plug-ins, so they'll need to be re-enabled after the "reset."  You'll need to close and re-open Internet Explorer for the changes to take affect.  Now try browsing to a website or two.

Hopefully one of those options will fix you up.  Let us know if you issue is resolved.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Tutor
LawDown
Message 5 of 20 (2,170 Views)

Thanks for your concern and attention.  I first tried your suggestions #1.  Did not correct the problem?  I then tried your suggestions #2, and that did not correct the problem either.  Any other suggestions?  Linksys thinks that the HP Network Access program may be blocking the Windows XP Wireless connection, which is working, from allowing actual access to the Internet.  Does that seem a possibility?

Tutor
kevinm207
Message 6 of 20 (2,164 Views)

1)  Have you tried uninstalling any and all search bars for Internet Explorer.  Sometimes they can also cause issues.

2)  Have you had any evidence of a possible virus?  Sometimes a virus can affect your "hosts" file or other areas that will give you similar results; can ping a web address, but cannot browse there in Internet Explorer. 

3)  Which wireless LAN adapter does your Mini have; Broadcom or Atheros?  You can find this information by going to "Device Manager" and looking under "Network Adapters."  In Windows XP starting with Service Pack 2, there is a build in wireless configuration tool called Windows Zero.  There's a very good change that along with the WLAN driver, the wireless configuration software for that particular card is also installed.  Many times these two utilities will fight for control of the wireless adapter and cause issues.  I would recommend using the Windows Zero tool, and uninstalling the "branded" utility from "Add/Remove Programs" in Control Panel.  *There is a chance that by uninstalling the WLAN card software will also uninstall the driver (this is usually not the case).  If this happens try rebooting the notebook and see if it will automatically find the drivers for the WLAN card.  If it does not, you might "have" to reinstall the driver.  Here's a link to the driver download page for your Mini running Windows XP:  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=40045...

Tutor
LawDown
Message 7 of 20 (2,158 Views)

1.  I don't think I have any additional Internet Seach bars.  We have not been able to access the web while in Windows.

2.  I don't think viruses could be an issue.  The computer has not been able to be used since it was purchased before Christmas just over a year ago.  My grandchildren gave up and gave it back to me in frustration.  Also, I restored all defaults and using the HP furnished software from Roxio I restored the computer back to its condition before I bought it.

3.  It has the Atheros LAN adaptor.  Wireless Zero is enabled and started.  I am not sure what you mean by uninstalling the "branded" utility.  I think I understand, but possible removal of the WLAN driver seems a concern, because I can not get to the new driver using Windows, of course.  And if I downloaded it on my desktop, not sure how I would transfer it to my Mini 110.

Again, I am very appreciative of your attention and help and am willing to try what you wish me to.

Tutor
kevinm207
Message 8 of 20 (2,153 Views)

Just out of curiosity, did CISCO have you cycle the power on your wireless router?  I know this is a simply step, but often overlooked.  Do you know what Encryption type your router is set to?  WEP, WPA, or WPA2?  This is a little "off topic," but it's always best to use WPA2 AES if possible.  It's more secure, and faster. 

Which brings up another important troubleshooting step:

Do have have a spare ethernet cable, and have you tried/are you able to connect to the router (one of the empty LAN ports) with a wired connection with internet connectivity?  This can help determine if the issue is strictly with the wireless connection or is a global Windows issue.

As I mentioned in another thread, sometimes removing the wireless network from your preferred network list and reconnecting can also help with issues.  Control Panel > Network Connections > "right click" on the Wireless Network Connection and choose properties.  Under the "Preferred Networks" tab, remove your network.  Then, try reconnecting using the Zero configuration tool down on the notification area of the task bar.

Tutor
LawDown
Message 9 of 20 (2,139 Views)

Yes, we did cycle the power on to the router.  Right now the wireless network is simply "linksys" and has no WEP, WPA or WPA2 encryption.

Yes, we did hook the Mini 110 up directly to establish a wired connection, and the connection to the Windows based connection to the Internet worked.

Following your directions again, I just removed my "linksys" network.  Now, I can't get it to reconnect fully.  It is hung up on "valdating identity."  What do I do now?  Help!

Tutor
LawDown
Message 10 of 20 (2,138 Views)

I am getting a message that "Windows is unable to find a certificate to log me on to the network: linksys."  What should I do?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation