Wireless Connectivity Fix (3639 Views)
Honor Student
mandyric
Message 1 of 4 (3,639 Views)

Wireless Connectivity Fix

[ Edited ]

I've had the same problem as others this week with regards to the wireless adapter and connectivity. My PC is a Pavillion dv9429us. I noticed the timing of the WiFi not working coincided with the automatic install/update of Internet Explorer 8. I decided to revert back to IE 7 and then reinstalled the WiFi driver from the HP site and lo-and behold...I've had a wireless connection for almost an hour now.

For more info on reverting back to Internet Explorer 7, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/en-us

To determine the driver you need to install, use the troubleshoot feature on the HP site. Mine was a Broadcom.

There is also a link on the troubleshoot site regarding a recall for a host of HP products, and one of the issues with the recall is the wireless connectivity problem we're all experiencing. If your PC is included in the recall (mine is) you can send it back to HP and they will repair it free of charge. A toll free number for more info is provided. The recall information is listed under Support & Drivers. Go through the troubleshoot process (type in your product number) and click go. On the next page under Alert, click on "Click here to determine if your notebook is eligible for free repair." All details are listed, including a toll free number.

I hope this fix works for others (and who knows...it might be a temporary fix). BTW, I'm not an IT person, I just thought I'd give this a try and it happened to work.

Message Edited by mandyric on 07-30-2009 07:55 PM
Top Student
RubyRose66
Message 2 of 4 (3,573 Views)

Re: Wireless Connectivity Fix

GO TO HPNETWORK ASSISTANT.  

I simply went into the BIOS and ENABLED the Network Adapter and Boot Enabled Ntwk

Changing wireless settings

Integrated wireless devices can be controlled through the following software or hardware:

Computer Setup utility Device Manager LAN/WLAN Switching (select models only) Wireless button Windows Mobility Center (Windows Vista only) Wireless Assistant  NOTE

The settings for all of these items must be enabled and turned on before the power to the integrated wireless device can be turned on.

A device can be turned off, disabled, turned on, or enabled. It can have any one of these settings or a combination of settings. For example, for a device to work properly, it must be both turned on and enabled. When a device is turned off, no power is provided to the device. On the other hand, a device that is turned on and disabled has power but has been made nonfunctional. Disabling a device frees the resources that were allocated to that device. Turning off a device removes power from the device.

Some of these methods allow you to disable/enable a device, while the other methods allow you to turn off/turn on a device. The following table lists the settings that apply to each method.

Method Settings Computer Setup utility Enabled/disabled Device Manager Enabled/disabled LAN/WLAN Switching Enabled/disabled Wireless button Enabled/disabled Wireless Network Turned on/turned off Wireless Assistant Turned on/turned off WWAN connection application Turned on/turned off Removing the primary battery Disabled WWAN
It will get resolved or we'll beat it, curse at it, and if all fails we will make art out of it.

Go Green and Recycle.

There, is that better? It worked for me.
Student
Solorza
Message 3 of 4 (3,524 Views)

I have had the same issue with my wife's tx2100us. Another forum recommed using Recovery Manager to reinistall the original Broadcom Wireless driver. Viola. Have repeatedly booted the laptop and run it for 6-7 hours at a stretch with no wireless issues. My guess is that the latest Broadcom driver is problematic because my wireless radio detection issues started around the same time that I downloaded the latest drivers via Windows Automatic Update.
Honor Student
mandyric
Message 4 of 4 (3,516 Views)

An update to my original message above. The fix was only temporary. I am now without wireless again. The BIOS is fine, but the Broadcon driver will not stay installed. I contacted HP and my laptop will be repaired under the recall listed in my original message. At this point, I don't want to continue doing the "quick fixes" over and over if I can get it fully repaired at no cost.

If you call to take advantage of the recall's free repair service, be prepared to spend about 30 minutes on the phone with an HP representative to get the repair authorized. A pain, I know, but better than continuing to deal with crappy, sporadic wireless.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation