Wireless Router - Local Access Only (14584 Views)
Honor Student
MKindel
Message 1 of 16 (14,584 Views)

Wireless Router - Local Access Only

Computer: HP Pavilion dv6736nr

Service Pack 2

Hello,

I am attempting to connect to the internet via a new router that I purchased (Belkin PLAY N600).  I am able to connect to the router but I can not connect to the Internet.  My access is 'Local Only'. This is the second router that I have tried and have had the same problem.

I don't have any problems connecting to other networks with my laptop.  I can connect at at work, to my neighbor's wifi, at the airport etc...   At home I can plug the Ethernet cable directly into my laptop and access the internet so I know that there isn't a problem with my cable provider.

I called Belkin's customer support and after many attempts at trouble shooting I was told to contact HP about updating my driver.  Something along the lines of my current driver not being able to handle WPA Security.  Does this make any sense?  The customer service reps first language was definitely not English so it was very difficult to piece together what he was trying to tell me.  (although with my spelling and grammar I am sure many people say the same thing about me) :smileyindifferent:

I am not exactly sure of the drive I need to be updating. 

Under Network adapters I have:  Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter.  I tried to update this and it is now showing a driver date of: 4/27/2008 and a driver version of: 7.6.0.114

From the Driver - Networks download page I also downloaded  'Atheros Wireless Lan Driver'. 

I am not sure if any of what I have done addresses the issue of of my computer not being able to handle WPA Security?

On a side note, we tried to set up the Router security to 64 bit but every time I tried I got the following message:  "Wireless Radio is Disabled.  To configure wireless security, please enable wireless radio."  Does anyone know how to enable the wireless radio?  My WLAN is on as I can pick up wireless networks.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thank you!

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 16 (14,569 Views)

Re: Wireless Router - Local Access Only

Hi:

I would think your current adapter can handle WPA security.

I found what I believe is a newer driver for the card if you want to install this one: Has some fixes. Nothing pertaining to allowing for support for WPA. Although like I said, I'm sure this card was new enough to support that level of security.  And yes, that is your wireless card so that is what you need to update.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=ob-690...

Did you try connecting with no security verifying you can connect to the internet, and then changing the security from there?

You can enable and disable the radio somewhere in the device properties.  If you are picking up other wireless networks your radio is enabled. If it was disabled, you would get nothing.

You have your router set for mixed mode transmission and not N only? You have the 2.4GHz band on or both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands on?

Just some things I'm throwing out for you to check.

Paul

Master's Graduate
phttech
Message 3 of 16 (14,568 Views)

see this link

Unable to connect with WPA active in Vista

While I work on behalf of HP I'm not speaking for HP but trying to provide best effort support.
Honor Student
MKindel
Message 4 of 16 (14,526 Views)

Hello pjtikkanen,

I wanted to let you know that i tried the download you recommended.  It now seems to work perfectly!!

I spent hours on this and was becoming demoralized!

Thank you very much for your help...It is greatly appreciated!!!!:smileyvery-happy:

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 5 of 16 (14,524 Views)

You are most welcome!  I'm very happy your problem has been resolved.

I know how frustrating some things can be at times.

Enjoy!

Paul

Student
chdbur
Message 6 of 16 (14,040 Views)

I used the link that Paul_Tikkanen posted and it worked for me as well

Now...... why is it that the driver is not found when I search the hp site for my model !!!!!!!!

HP... this is crap that I have to rely on searching the web for answers 

thanks Paul 

HP you need to get this RIGHT

HP DV6000 is the model of my computer 

Top Student
pennyjo
Message 7 of 16 (14,027 Views)

i had a similar problem ,Using wirless router I had to push the reset button on the router and go through the setup again,My router is through ATT,phone company ,I hope this will help you good luck

Penny
Top Student
dixie1006
Message 8 of 16 (13,964 Views)

Hi Paul

I posted a message on the 17th April having a big problem with my HP G7094 laptop, vista and a sky sagem modem.

After spending 3 days trying to sort this problem I came across your message last night.....and the driver worked for me!

Many thanks

Gail

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 9 of 16 (13,953 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

To all those who have found this post helpful, you are all welcome, and I'm glad the driver I posted above fixed your connection problems.

Now I have a link to an even newer driver so that anyone who comes across this thread can also try: It is good for most operating systems. It is compatible with the following Atheros wireless adapters: 

Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter Atheros AR5006 802.11a/b/g WiFi Adapter Atheros AR5006 802.11a/b/g WiFi Adapter Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter Atheros AR9382 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter Atheros AR9380 802.11 a/g/n WiFi Adapter

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=ob-917...

If you are happy with the driver you are using in my January 21st post above, installing this updated driver is up to you.  Remember the old saying:" If it is not broke, don' t fix it."

Paul

Honor Student
mud376
Message 10 of 16 (13,843 Views)

WELL!!!   i am impressed this link worked perfectly am now wireless again. THANKS!!!! LOADS...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation