HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
01-23-2012 11:29 PM
After 2 years of work, my Pavilion dv6-2043ca laptop suddenly lost ability to connect to my wireless home router. No changes to laptop's OS (Windows 7 64-bit) or router configuration had been made prior to the malfunction.
Symptoms are as follows:
- Wireless adapter detects a bunch of wireless networks, including my own.
- When I connect to my own network, it asks for network key, then it seems to let me in.
- After that, it pops up a dialog saying that "Windows could not connect to network XXX ". System shows the network as "Unidentified Network" in Network and Sharing Center, and no Internet connection can be established.
After digging deeper, I found the following:
- On the administrative page of my router, I can see that connection with the wireless adapter is established and proper IP address is leased by the router's DHCP.
- When I run "ipconfig /all" on the laptop after wireless connection is established, it displays proper IP settings. Default gateway, DNS - everything is correct and looks similar to IP settings on my other PC where Internet connection is functioning.
- However, I still cannot ping default gateway from the laptop.
Reasons I believe the problem is not in the router are:
- There are 4 other wireless devices working perfectly fine with this router.
- I tried to connect the laptop to wireless network in the office, with the same (negative) result.
- System logs on the router display proper connection and IP address assignment to this wireless adapter's MAC address, there is no difference from other devices.
What I tried to do:
- Re-installed wireless adapter driver (several times, with or without deleting driver software).
- Made sure IP settings are the same as for the other computer where Internet connection is working.
By the way, when I connect the laptop to the router through a wired Ethernet adapter, everything works perfectly.
Please advise how to further diagnose this situation. Could it be hardware malfunction?
01-24-2012 11:43 AM
Wireless adapter suddenly stopped working. It sees my router but indicates limited connectivity or unidentified network. My other comuters are still connected and are online.