Wireless button wont work and hp wireless assistant wont start (xp os) (3220 Views)
Honor Student
DDPrice22
Message 1 of 7 (3,220 Views)

Wireless button wont work and hp wireless assistant wont start (xp os)

My wireless button wont turn on, when I switcj it to the on position, the led stays orange instead of changing to blue. I've tried removing the hp wireless assistant and re-installing it but when I attempt to start the hp wireless assistant, it wont start up. I'm currently running windows xp operating system. I've also tried to the wireless to work by removing my norton antivirus with the norton removal tool. I've read a few other similar posts but they mainly pertain to newer os' or didn't work. Any and all help is greatly appreciated...

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 7 (3,202 Views)

Re: Wireless button wont work and hp wireless assistant wont start (xp os)

Hi,

Uninstall Your wireless drivers from system.

Resource:

How to change or remove a program in Windows XP

Go to: Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Devices Manager

Click with right button of Your mouse on each yellow sign with exclamation mark ( ) and choose properties. Then go to ' Details ' tab and paste here Hardware ID . This way we will know what it is.

Below You've got example how to do it:

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Honor Student
DDPrice22
Message 3 of 7 (3,185 Views)

Re: Wireless button wont work and hp wireless assistant wont start (XP os)

[ Edited ]

Honor Student
DDPrice22
Message 4 of 7 (3,177 Views)

Thanks for the reply Daniel. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I went into device manager as directed but the wireless devices don't show up there and there are no yellow exclamation marks anywhere in the manager. I checked every category. The wireless assistant was located under my "network and internet connections" in the control panel though. It was also located in the "add/remove " section as well as the "broadcom wireless" program. I removed them both, should I just restart my computer then go back to hp support and download these things again? I've done this before but it seems like anytime I restart/turn off my computer they both disappear and I'm back to square one. Any input you have to this situation is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Top Student
jandjfrench
Message 5 of 7 (3,168 Views)

Hi,

You're problem is extremely common.  It usually occurs after hard usage of the computer.  A recent post of mine which is under the title "My Solution..." chronicles my experiences.  Please check it out.  It's the result of many hours of frustration and wild goose chases.  The information you've received is probably good but limited to special cases.

Jim

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 6 of 7 (3,142 Views)

Write down Your p/n which is under Your computer and looks like this.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Honor Student
jlblonde
Message 7 of 7 (3,077 Views)

There is no assistance, there is no solution to the problem.

HP doesn't know and they don't care.

Tech Support doesn't really exist.

It's just a phone answering system in India. They don't know anything.

Service centers do not exist. They farm it out to private service techs.

The problem is  hardware/software. There is no fix!

My HP Pavilion DV2025nr laptop does as is described in the posts. Sometime the wireless system works sometimes it doesn't.

Reinstallation of the driver doesn't produce results. Neither does reinstalling the entire OS system.

As a friend of mine at Consumer Reports told me privately, "all products sold in the US are scheduled to fail." "Never buy the newest model!" "Give us time to test it." "Read our reports and do your research before you buy!" "And NEVER buy CHEAP unless you plan to only use it for a maximum time of a year and a half."

There is no strict government oversight on product quality or even safety. UL doesn't test longevity, only whether the product turns on and doesn't catch fire.

I had a Dell desktop. Top'o'line as they say. 2 year extended warranty. The warranty ended at 11:59pm on April 18th 2008. At 12:10am April 19th 2008 the hard drive failed. No help, no solutions. $50 you pay for them to talk to you. Recommendation from tech and customer support, "Purchase a new one" with a $100 core discount. I pay $25 in shipping charges to send in my old computer.

My son's Toshiba laptop experienced a hard drive faliure one hour before the warranty ended. I'll called and made it with 3 minutes to spare. Got'em that time!

Like Ford Transmissions, Dell computer HD drives & software, Ryobi Power Tool Batteries, Toyota Acc. pedals & brakes, Apple iPhones, Motorola Razor cellphones; HP Laptops are scheduled to brake down.Your only solution is to shell out more money for a possible fix. No guarantee! You'll just have to buy a new one!

If it is not life threatening, the problem will never be addressed. No lawsuits will be submitted, unless it takes a life. Weep for Toyota!

Sorry for being the wet blanket,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation