Question

Honor Student
unrulyjulie
Message 1 of 8 (1,876 Views)

Wireless card can't find driver so no internet :-(

I have a HP 2000-329wm    we had to install a new hard drive and have been having a hard time getting drivers for the wireless card.  Feels like a comedy of errors from the get go.   Quite comical how we got into the mess.  I tried a few drivers from the driver area but have no clue what type it is and so far no luck.  By now I think I have at leat 8 installed with no progress.

Windows 7 64 bit

the hardware ID

PCI\VEN_10E4&DEV_8176&SUBSYS_1629103C&REV_01

PCI\VEN_10E4&DEV_8176&SUBSYS_1629103C

PCI\VEN_10E4&DEV_8176&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_10E4&DEV_8176&CC_0280

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 8 (1,866 Views)

Re: Wireless card can't find driver so no internet :-(

Let HP recommend
Let HP scan your system for out-of-date and missing drivers and software
Check Now

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
unrulyjulie
Message 3 of 8 (1,859 Views)

tried to use that feature after accepting the program it did absolutely nothing.  Used the Hp udpate that was supposed to scan for new drivers and updates etc found nothing.   All I know is under my device manager I have "other devices" network controller has a yellow triangle and an ! inside it.  Network Controller manufacturer unknown, PCI bus 7, device 0, function 0.  device status is device driver not installed.  I hit update try to find online (hard wired right now for the internet)  comes back with cant find perhaps contact manufacturer website.   downloaded drivers from HP, double clicked them let them do their song and dance rebooted and nothing.  there is a network adapter installed that says realtek PCIe FE family controller but i can figure out this network controller thingy

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 8 (1,829 Views)

When you installed the new hdd, did you reinstall using HP Recovery Disks or retail Windows dvd? If you don't have Recovery Media, you can order it from your drivers & software pages for a small fee-might well be worth it to solve this strange issue.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5158...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
TechieAJ
Message 5 of 8 (1,762 Views)

Actually it is a Very COMMON problem, and i freakin shouldnt have to pay for a disc to fix it, when that disc should have been included in the first place!! what is HP gonna do about it? this laptop is only 5 months old!

Student
grannywaldrop
Message 6 of 8 (1,657 Views)

I have a HP 2000 Notebook.   It cannot find the LAN or Wireless drivers.   My son bought it 11/2011 and I got it 12/2011.   I only use Yahoo email, Skype and store photos on it from emails.   I only use it about once a week.  

I cannot get the drivers to reinstall.   I did the recovery reinstall.  Still no drivers found for LAN or Wireless.  I have NO idea what to do next and the guy I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with has called me back during midnight hour on several occassions. 

Student
jar02014
Message 7 of 8 (1,226 Views)

[ Edited ]

Why aren't these drivers, and installation instructions, on the web site?

I had to re-install Win7 from scratch using MS disk, because the hard drive failed.  This is not my computer, and I don't have the recovery disk.  But why should I need it?

Furthermore, I've spend almost an hour doing trial and error on your web site looking for Windows drivers.  

I went to this page

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5158...

I downloaded HP Suport Assistant, which I assume would tell me which drivers I needed, but no such luck.  I tried downloading several files, with unhelpful names like SP58915.exe and SP57049.exe and ran them.  As often as not they failed to run, and when they did the created directories with more cryptic files, no explanations, and when I tried to update drivers from Device Manager, it couldn't find any drivers. 

I'm about to give up and install Ubuntu instead.

Provost
CherylG
Message 8 of 8 (1,220 Views)

[ Edited ]

@jar02014 

All of the drivers on your Driver page have the name of the hardware it is for. Of course, under Network drivers you will need to know which adapter is used in your particular machine.

You can also get the hardware id of each device with no driver by right clicking each in Device Manager ,choose Properties, then go to Details tab.Use the dropdown selector to choose hardware id..Then either post it here or do your own internet search for the id.

Recovery Discs can be ordered from the page also for less than $20.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation