Question

Top Student
samphai
Message 1 of 11 (14,281 Views)

Wireless connection keep on turning on and off

I have the dv4-1028us laptop for a few months. The internet keep on turning off for a second and then it will turn back on. The wireless icon on the system tray at the lower right corner of the screen will have a red X and then I will get the connection back. Every few minutes this will happen and It is annoying.

Does anyone know what is wrong?

Associate Professor
Sanchertx
Message 2 of 11 (14,259 Views)

Re: Wireless connection keep on turning on and off

Hello,

Please try upgrading your  Intel Pro wireless driver - He newest release has some enhancements in it particualry for "Fixes an intermittent issue where the WLAN device stops responding (hangs) in very high traffic wireless LAN (WLAN) environments. "

Here is the link,

Let me us know if this resolves the problem..

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-66349-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

regards

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
Top Student
samphai
Message 3 of 11 (14,230 Views)

I just install the program. I'm going to try it out for a day or two and see if it resolve the problem. I will report back if it is fix or not.
Top Student
samphai
Message 4 of 11 (14,187 Views)

The problem still happen. This didn't fix it. Is there other way to fix it?

Associate Professor
Sanchertx
Message 5 of 11 (14,178 Views)

Hello,

Try to update the BIOS - We have a ROM upgrade that is for a similar issue where the Wireless LAN light turns Amber ( off ) - Do you notice if the WLAN light is changing from Amber to Blue?

Here is a link to an article describing this and a ROM update.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01631229&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3745839&rul...

Here is a general troubleshooting document that covers a wide range of pontential causes and fixes

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00812738&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3745839&rul...

thanks,,

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
Honor Student
unclegus24
Message 6 of 11 (14,154 Views)

Hi    Had same problerm on 2 day old HP Pavillion dv7-1273cl , , , Tried everything, latest nvidia driver (Feb), , BIOS Reset, Use High Performance power plan, and HP Tech support telling me to Disable 802.1 Authentication, Disable IPv6 . . ,. Tried them all with no success. Went back to square 1, Kept BIOS reset, "High Performance" power plan, Kept latest nivida driver (CS4 required it for new acceleration feature)

Having same problem:

Checked Windows updates: Found 5 updates that Automatic Updates didn't install.

One was "Intel driver for Intel (R) wifi link 5100 AGN"

I installed Intel update, and problem solved.

FWIW

Gus

Top Student
samphai
Message 7 of 11 (14,098 Views)

I reformat my laptop and it's working now.

Thanks for trying to help.

Student
rayselio
Message 8 of 11 (12,508 Views)

dv8t owner here who recently dealt with the same issue.  After a whole lot of research and trying a lot of things what finally worked was going directly to intel and downloading/installing the driver update for the wireless lan from there.

Student
sparky31
Message 9 of 11 (10,867 Views)

Hi can you give me the link you used to sort your HP dv8 please its driven me nuts

Cheers

Honor Student
thescottguy
Message 10 of 11 (10,235 Views)

I have a brand spanking new top of the line HP laptop and I'm having the same trouble.  The system keeps telling me my wireless network is hanging when another wireless laptop is working fine in another room.

So, it works fine as long as the data load isn't too heavy?  Great but when one sets up a new computer there is ALWAYS a ton of stuff to download and update including antivirus software definitions, browsers, and some games in my case.

It goes on and then randomly shuts off.  I had a similar experience early on with another H.P. laptop.  When are you folks going to fix this issue?

The only way I can set up this machine is to connect it to a CAT 5 cable which pretty much defeats the purpose of having a WIRELESS laptop now doesn't it?  A bit angry?  Of course I am!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation