Wireless connection problems with my HP laptop (23838 Views)
Tutor
Dazzar86
Message 1 of 40 (23,838 Views)

Wireless connection problems with my HP laptop

Hi,

I hope some of you may be able to help me, as I'm tearing my hair out trying to get the net to work on my HP laptop.

I have a HP G72-b2OSA, operating system: Windows 7 (64 bit)

It's all of a sudden decided to keep disconnecting me every 5 minutes, sometimes not allowing me to reconnect and sometimes reconnecting and saying 'limited access' (but pages still can't load). 

Then at odd times, it'll load the net fine for an hour or so, then go back to not being able to connect.

I've had the laptop since April, but never had any problems with it until now.

The internet loads fine on my dad's rubbish £150 laptop, so it's not the router.

My wireless options finds my router, even tells me the strength is 'excellent' - yet it still fails to connect.

I've tried restoring the system to an earlier time, but that hasn't made a difference and also looked into HP updates, but it says everything is up to date.

If anyone can help, I'd be hugely grateful!

Many Thanks.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 40 (23,831 Views)

Re: Wireless connection problems with my HP laptop

Hi:

What model wireless adapter do you have in your notebook?

It is possible that there is a driver update that your update program isn't picking up.  I will check and let you know,

It is possible that you are now experiencing interference from neighbor's routers where it didn't exist before. Maybe someone added a wireless network close by where one wasn't around before.

You may want to try changing the channel your router is broadcasting on to channel 1 or 11.

Paul

Tutor
Dazzar86
Message 3 of 40 (23,830 Views)

It says its a: WAN miniport (IKEv2) - is that what you mean?

I went on the built-in HP support on my laptop and it says everything is up to date.

Also, a neighbours interference wouldn't explain why my dad's laptop works in the same household. 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 40 (23,829 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

No, that isn't what I was looking for.

In your device manager, under the Network adapters listing, there should be a wired network adapter listed, and a wireless network adapter listed.

Wireless adapter models may be:  Atheros, Ralink, Intel, Broadcom...  What brand and model #?

A neighbor's wireless interference could be affecting your model wireless card, and not your dad's. It happens all the time.

Changing the broadcast channel can fix yours and not mess up your dad's connection.

Also, knowing what model network card you have, there may be some advanced settings you can change like setting the roaming tendency to low.

Paul

Tutor
Dazzar86
Message 5 of 40 (23,823 Views)

Ok, thanks - right, it says it's a:

Ralink RT3090 802.11b/g/n

Thanks. 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 40 (23,822 Views)

Hi:

This driver just came out this month...I would be surprised if you have it installed already.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Try that first and if you still have the same problem, try the channel change.

When you click on the Ralink adapter in the device manager, and click on the advanced tab is there any kind of roaming setting?  If there is, change it to low if it is not set to low.

Paul

Tutor
Dazzar86
Message 7 of 40 (23,754 Views)

Sorry, haven't had access to a computer as my dad needed his laptop the last couple of days, and obviously I can't use mine online to post!

In device manager, when I click on properties of the ralink adapter, it says the driver is up-to-date. installed November 4th. No range settings and not sure if it's possible to 'change channel' on my router :-/

One thing I've noticed though, when it allows me online for a few minutes, when websites have icons in the address bar, the icons of other sites are showing in them, like Wiki had a completely different logo from another site, if this has anything to do with the net not working properly?

Thanks again for your help.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 40 (23,747 Views)

Hi:

I wish I had an answer for you. I have no idea why the websites aren't displaying properly. I don't know if it has to do with the connection or not.

In order to change the broadcast channels in your router you would need to go on line to the router manufacturer's support page to find instructions on how to do that.

Paul

Tutor
Dazzar86
Message 9 of 40 (23,716 Views)

Well, despite saying it was up-to-date, I decided to download that driver you suggested and installed it anyway and the internet isn't cutting out like it was, but is still having occasional lapses, just not as frequent as it was.

Any ideas what might be causing it to still do it even with the new driver?

Thanks again. 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 10 of 40 (23,699 Views)

Hi:

I still think you should try the channel change thing in the router.

Another thing you can try is to click on the wireless adapter in the device manager. Click on the advanced tab. If there is a roaming setting, set it to low.

If it has a WMM setting, make sure that is set to enabled.

Look at the other advanced settings and see if there is one to adjust for maximum power.

Wireless adapters from different manufactuer's are all different there so I can't say what settings you have.

Broadcom and Intel cards have a lot of different advanced settings.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation