Wireless issues on HP2000-350US with Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (20968 Views)
Tutor
ml989
Message 21 of 76 (13,835 Views)

Re: Wireless issues on HP2000-350US with Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter

That was one of the first things I tried when I was having the issues.  Mine will stop drop the wireless regardless of my power settings.  Still waiting HP, it shouldn't be up to your customers to figure out your problems.

Honor Student
wjhjr
Message 22 of 76 (13,831 Views)

Re: Wireless issues on HP2000-350US with Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter

mine with same problem - shipped me a new wireless card - no change still same problem - thus, this past Saturday shipped my brand new notebook back to HP - will keep board posted as to outcome.

Top Student
tomhp2012
Message 23 of 76 (13,814 Views)

Well, I spoke too soon.  My HP2000-350US with Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter is dropping my internet connection regularly again today.  My two old PCs (Toshiba & Gateway) continue to surf the internet without issue.  I really hope HP/Qualcomm provides us a fix ASAP.

Tutor
snerdlylizard
Message 24 of 76 (13,784 Views)

Hello Everyone Again,

While traveling i noticed the wireless card was powering down again.  It caused me to think this problem is definantly setting for power management on the system.

Since more changes made, I have been running my moms laptop on  multiple access points for over 7 hours with no drops.  The are two main things which one can do to keep your wireless adapter from shutting down and dropping signal.

Both processes requires administrator rights.

The first process was metioned earlier but i will list it again.

Process One:

Step 1: Select Control Panel

Step 2: Select Hardware and Sound

Step 3: Select Device Manager

Step 4: Open Network Adapters List by clicking on name

Step 5: Select Atheros AR9485

Step 6: Right Click and Select Properties

Step 7: Select tab titled "Power Management"

Step 8: UNCHECK or DESELECT the option button which says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Step 9: Hit OK

Process Two:

Step 1: Select Control Panel

Step 2: Select Hardware and Sound

Step 3: Under Power Options, Select Change Battery Settings, Left Click
Step 4: Under HP Recommended Power Plan, Select Blue Link Titled "Change plan settings"

Step 5: Under Blue Link Titled "Change advanced power settings"

Step 6: Look for TAB Titled "Wireless Adapter Settings", Open this selection by clicking on left mouse

Step 7: Open Menu Power Saving, for on battery and plugged in, Select "Maximum Performance" VICE "Low Power Savings"  *Make sure to do both settings for battery and plugged in.*

Step 8: Hit Apply, Then Hit OK

For those who want there laptops working, I have publish this information since this network engineer has this laptop going to his mom.

Happy computing. 

Honor Student
epiciocc
Message 25 of 76 (13,775 Views)

Another update.

I received both PC's back from HP. One they report that they changed the antenna and updated BIOS, on the other they report that they changed the Wireless card and updated BIOS.

Low and behold both PC's are................Doing the exact same thing they were doing before.

Also, I had done the power setting that is mentioned in this post back when, and it did NOT make a difference for

us. Bummer.  I think next step is to either get a refund or demand the card be changed to an Intel card.

This isn't rocket science for crying out load, they obviously have and issue with the Atheros card, but won't admit it.

I'll let ya'll know what happens.

Ed

Top Student
tomhp2012
Message 26 of 76 (13,763 Views)

Atheros is a Qualcomm product - is it not?  I am wondering why Qualcomm is not standing behind this wifi product? Qualcomm had been a great company in the past. HP & Qualcomm need to admit they have a problem with this Qualcomm Atheros card and/or interface and either get us a new wifi card or fix this one.  I am guessing for some political reason they do not want to provide us with what their engineering department probably already knows - this HP PC & Qualcomm wifi card and/or interface are not working together.  Even if they do not have an economical fix, they should  at least admit they have a problem and provide us a plan of action.   :smileysad:

Student
Betsy2005
Message 27 of 76 (13,728 Views)

@snerdlylizard

I unchecked the box that had the computer cut the internet to save power. It works now!! :smileyvery-happy: HOWEVER, it only works when my computer is plugged in (which it didn't even do before I did this) - how do I make it work when I inplug my computer? There must be some option on the computer that makes it do this? I am starting to believe that the problem is not the wireless adapter - but that it is the computer cutting it to save power??

Thanks!

Tutor
snerdlylizard
Message 28 of 76 (13,719 Views)

Hi Betsy2005,

I would look at Process Two of Step 7, Note the settings must be changed for  BOTH.

Look for submenu " Battery", then change to maximum Performance.

Look for submenu of "Plugged in":,then change to maximum Performance 

Make sure to apply and select OK.

I can say the steps provided not only work, my mom has not yelled at me yet and my dad just bought a mouse on her laptop.

The mouse is not for her.:smileylol:

It will be great to leave tommorrow back to Arizona and they stay in Florida to fight over this laptop

I hope this helps all concerned. If it works leave something for others to read as these stepts worked for me.

Good Luck

Tutor
RB767
Message 29 of 76 (13,612 Views)

Hi

I have have just purchasd a Pavilion G6 1265sa Notebook and this too has the same issue that has been described by others in this post. The notebook again uses the Atheros AR9485 Wifi Adaptor.

I have made both changes suggested to the HP powerplan and to the wireless adaptor settings and the issue is now resolved.....................so many thanks for all your advice here !!.

However, could any one tell me if the "fix" applied is a change required to get a faulty apaptor working or is it simply a change that is required to ensure Win7 and the AR9485 are configured correctly ?

Also Is the AR9485 generally unreliable ?

The reason for this question is that the retailler has offered me an exchange but the this laptop is no longer sold so I would have to choose a newer model, which isessentially identical ( a bit more RAM and faster Processor) but no longer has Bluetooth ( so I assume the Wifi adaptor is now different too since the Ar9485 is a Combi and supports Bluetooth).

So, to conclude, am I best advised to exchange the unit or do I have nothing wrong about as AR9485  just needed to be configured correctly ?.

Thanks again for any help you can give !!

Tutor
snerdlylizard
Message 30 of 76 (13,603 Views)

Hello RB767,

Glad to hear the changes in the settings worked for you.

On your question of selecting a replacement laptop, contact HP and have them identify the specific wireless card in the other laptop. I would not be surprized if it is the same wireless ATHEROS AR9485 card that would be just configured to have bluetooth functions disabled on a hardware standpoint by an internal switch.

If if turns out to be the same Atheros card , I would still take the replacement for more ram and processor if bluetooth devices were not important to you.

If bluetooth connectivity is important, then keep the one you have. The processor on this laptop is 3rd Quarter generation last year from Intel so processor is rocking for the price. :smileywink: Boot times from start to client email for mom is less than 2 minutes!!

My mother loves her machine as she constantly argues with my dad over access even though he could buy one himself or use his older desktop. I have already bought two of these laptops already in the past few months, one for mom and one for my 12 year old son.

Good Luck on your quest. 

The Snerdly Lizard 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation