Question

VT Top Student
Top Student
VT
Message 1 of 97 (25,758 Views)

Wireless not detected? Please HELP!

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion dv6317eu, windows vista home premium. I have Broadcom wireless

It doesn't detect the wireless driver installed and the light is  always oranged even when turned on. I have installed the driver & wireless assistant. Reformatted pc and it worked then updated Bios and stopped working.

Please help.

Message Edited by VT on 04-08-2009 05:22 AM
Intern
Gary_R
Message 2 of 97 (25,700 Views)

Re: Wireless not detected? Please HELP!

Are you certain the wireless network adapter is PHYSICALLY turned on? There is a switch or button next to the orange LED that turns it on/off. I have accidentally turned mine off and not realized it for a few minutes (this DV6000 is the first laptop I've had with a wireless on/off switch). I also remotely support my dad with his Compaq laptop (I'm on the west coast, he' on the east coast) and he's done the same thing so it's easy to do and not realize it.
Honor Student
doughboyee
Message 3 of 97 (25,681 Views)

I have a Compaq F572US notebook also with a Broadcom card and today it is doing the same thing.  Orange light only and can't detect.  Was there a windows update or something yesterday that could have effected the cards?
Top Student
rajman85
Message 4 of 97 (25,648 Views)

I JUST STARTED HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!!. ALSO HAVE BROADCOM WIRELESS. JUST STARTED TODAY. What do we do?

Honor Student
C23H30O2
Message 5 of 97 (25,610 Views)

This is a problem with a lot of HP laptops.

Back up your work, your motherboard is going to die.

http://[Text Deleted].com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9

www.[Text Deleted].com

I've had this happen to me twice already. They replaced my processor to a single core without telling me to try to fix the problem. It's a problem with Nvdia I beleive. Go to the sites I listed.

Teacher
CyberVisions
Message 6 of 97 (25,665 Views)

First off, your motherboard isn't going to die. Good Lord. Non-techs please refrain from making outlandish or outright BS statements please. People have enough trouble trying to find a solution without getting them unnecessarily worked up.

The DV6300 Series is on the list for the HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement. This is a known problem and one of the reasons the program was created.

So far I've had one of my own clients whose system was on the list, and just 2 days ago I responded to a user here who had a problem on the Symptom List (his was a 6400 series) who also had one of the systems affected - his PN was on the list. So it pays to check.

HP Pavilion dv2000/dv6000/dv9000 Limited Warranty Service Enhancement

The following symptoms apply to Pavilion dv2000 and Presario v3000 notebooks:
  • The notebook does not detect wireless networks and the wireless adapter is not detected in the Device Manager.
  • There is no video on the computer LCD panel or external monitor.
The following symptoms apply to the dv6000, dv9000 and v6000 series notebooks:
  • The notebook does not detect wireless networks and the wireless adapter is not detected in the Device Manager.
  • There is no video on the computer LCD panel or external monitor.
  • The notebook has no power and no active LEDs.
  • The notebook does not start.
  • The battery charge indicator light does not turn on when the battery is installed and the AC adapter is connected.
  • The notebook issues a single beep during boot indicating no power.
  • The external monitor functions but there is no image on the notebook LCD panel.

I looked up your PN in the Product Specs for your stated system. Unfortunately, that PN isn't on the list of affected systems. However, for others reading this, yours might be - remember I said I found someone just over the weekend who qualified that posted here also.

GH789EA#ABU

Check your PN just to make sure - if it doesn't match, then check the LWSE page to verify it. 

On the page, click on the link for your Model Series - you'll need the Product # from your service label under your system. You need to see if it matches one of the PN's listed on the list of 6300's that are affected. If it is, then you'll need to call the number on the page and follow the instructions to get a prepaid shipping box to Fedex it to HP for repair. It makes no difference if your system is under warranty or not.

The link for the LWSE page is: HP Pavilion dv2000/dv6000/dv9000 Limited Warranty Service Enhancement.

Even though your system doesn't qualify, it may benefit from the BIOS update. Go to the support page for your system, and download BIOS version F.3D or later. The instructions concerning the BIOS update are on the LWSE page as well, under the Symptoms list. 

Primarily of the Ancient School -Training by HP, NASA, & the U.S. Submarine Force

HP Pavilion HDX 9300 64-bit Dragon, Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8ghz | 8gb DDR2 RAM | 512MB 8800M GTS
Vista Ult. 64 | Linksys Dual-Band N Network | DriveSavers Agent | Wiki Answers Supervisor

"Professional Techs don't ask for Kudos or Points"

Top Student
rajman85
Message 7 of 97 (25,600 Views)

My notebook is a tx1219us...Not listed in that enhancement thing that you posted.  But its having the SAME EXACT Broadcom wireless problems (where my wireless assistant cannot detect the wireless and there is no Wireless in the Device manager). I talked to HP for approximately 6 hours today (no exaggeration what so ever)...and after doing every single bios update/driver update possible..all I got was if your warranty is over we can't do anything else for you. However I had this same problem during my warranty period, and sent my notebook in to get it fixed. When they returned it, they had said that they replaced the motherboard...But now I'm having the same problem and they are saying my warranty is up!!..THIS IS RIDICULOUS!
Honor Student
doughboyee
Message 8 of 97 (25,538 Views)

Just to let those know that are having the issue, I spent about two hours on the hp chat support last night.  They had me reload driver, recover, restore back to factory settings and then finally said they would be making a note to send it to next level and have it repaired for free.  Someone called me back today (within 18 hours) and said there was a recall on my p/n and they were sending a box.  It will be fixed free of charge in about a week.  So I guess you may want to contact them about the issue, it won't hurt.
Top Student
rajman85
Message 9 of 97 (25,514 Views)

hey doughboyee:

What is the model number of your notebook Pc? I spent a total of 8 hours with them (yesterday and today)..and told them that this was a wide spread issue and all but the refused to take responsibilitie for it. My model number tx1219us (the tx1000 series)

Tutor
socal21
Message 10 of 97 (25,474 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem! My laptop is tx1410us.

On March 28, after some Vista and HP updates, WLAN simply disappeared!

I paid for additional HP assistance - after warranty that conveniently expired just two months ago!

In  the last 13 days:

I spent hours on phone with allegedly competent HP technicians  - 26  SO FAR - India, Honduras, Philipini, US!!! We did:

- a few complete recoveries - back to the factory condition

- renstalled drivers about 106 times

- + performed 1600 various more or less stupidities in recovery manager, device mamanger, N&C, etc....

I even got a recovery DVD that my laptop allegedly didn't need!!!

And: WLAN appeared several times and disappered again - ALWAYS  after some updates there were downloaded and installed INSPITE of changed settings not to download ANYTHING without my approval.

This is obviously a software problem that HP doesn't want to admit! There are scores of us on these pages only!!I

Now, I am waiting for some "the best people" from the midwest center to call (they should have called at 2 p.m.- now is 3:12!!!). <text deleted>

Message Edited by WendyM on 04-10-2009 12:23 AM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation