Question

Top Student
glenrennie
Message 1 of 4 (7,051 Views)

Wireless not working after installing Windows 7

Hello.

I have recently installed Windows 7 and have not been able to use my Wi-Fi since.  It shows full signal strength but every website I try to visit ends up with the 'Page cannot be dispalyed' screen and any other programs that require internet access simply fail.  The diagnose option goes through it's process and says that there were no issues found.

Since installing Windows 7 I have downloaded and installed all of the Windows 7 64 bit drivers from the HP website to fix problems I had with devices not being recognised.  All of my devices are now recognised and troubleshooting my PC gives a healthy result, it's just my Wi-Fi that is still not working.  There are no drivers on the HP website for the Atheros adapter.

My set up is.....

MACHINE

HP Pavilion dv5-1110em, the p/n is FU738EA#ABU

OPERATING SYSTEM

Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) although the original system was Windows Vista Home Premium

NETWORK ADAPTERS

Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter #2

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

Realtek RTL8168C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)

Please help!  Thanks - Glen.

Top Student
glenrennie
Message 2 of 4 (7,050 Views)

Re: Wireless not working after installing Windows 7

.....and just to add.....

Since installing Windows 7 my illuminated "Quickplay" and volume buttons don't work either.

The mute, rewind, play/pause, fast forward, stop and wireless on/off buttons work just fine but the Quickplay and Volume control does not.

Regards - Glen.

Teacher
irootsk
Message 3 of 4 (6,978 Views)

Hi Glenn

All i can tell you is - be patient.

You have to wait for new drivers. Same problem happened when Vista was launched. Sometime is worth to try to look for 3rd party solutions. 

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 4 of 4 (6,819 Views)

Hi,

A

Go to Control Panel -> Devices Manager -> Netowork cards

Click with right button of Your mouse on Atheros wireless and choose properties. Then go to bottom details and paste here Hardware Ids.It may be very important.

Below You've got example how to do it:

Device ID

Device ID

Device ID

B

Go to Control Panel -> Devices Manager -> Netowork cards

Click with right button of Your mouse on Atheros wireless and choose uninstall driver.

Only after that install this from below:

Atheros wireless for Win7 by HP here

C

glenrennie wrote:

The mute, rewind, play/pause, fast forward, stop and wireless on/off buttons work just fine but the Quickplay and Volume control does not.

To solve problem with volume control You need HP QuickTouch.

You may try to install Vista version.

HP QuickTouch here

If there will be any problems with installation then try to install it in Vista compatibility mode. How to do it all informations here.

Sorry but for now there isn't Win7 driver version.

Problem with Quickplay:

Vista QuickPlay software may solve this problem too. All pre-installed vista software can be found in c:\swsetup.You may still have this folder just check it.

Try also HP QuickPlay Web Update here

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation