Question

Student
Jpantz
Message 1 of 13 (22,266 Views)

compaq cq56 wireless button does not work. stays orange.

[ Edited ]

hi,

I have a Compaq Presario CQ56. Up unlit two days ago my wireless was working fine. the wireless button on the keyboard is showing orange and will not turn white. nothing on the forums I've looked at worked. Plz help!

Compaq presario CQ56 Notebook PC

PN: XY871UAR#ABA

SN:{Removed for privacy}

BIOS (config): F.15 - 04/07/2011

Keyboard revision: 90.17

Regents Professor
ManjunathTech
Message 2 of 13 (22,261 Views)

Re: compaq cq56 wireless button does not work. stays orange.

Hi

You have a couple of options as I see it please try these steps might help you to fix your issue.

1) Disconnect the Battery & Adapter then press & hold the power button on Notebook for 30 seconds then turn on the unit and check if the Wireless light turns on.

2) Go to Device manager then uninstall the wireless drivers from Network Adapter and restart the unit and check if the light turns on.

3) Try doing a system restore to the date where unit was working fine.

4) Please update the Bios & Wireless driver from HP website.

5) Click start in search type Recovery Manager then click on it select Yes on User access control then select I need immediate help then select Driver & application recovery select the wireless driver and install it then restart the unit.

6) If you are comfortable reseating the wireless card which will be on the back panel off your unit you could try this steps as well.

If still you have the same issue then you need to call HP Technical support and get the part replaced.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
Top Student
catdogcord
Message 3 of 13 (21,818 Views)

I have a simular problem,BUT my light stays blue when I turn off the wifi button from the f12 button!!! **bleep** it just started again!!! I found a soultion but now do a search and it can not be found any where!!!

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 13 (21,790 Views)

compaq cq56 wireless button does not work. stays orange.

catdogcord,

What is the exact model and product number of your notebook?
NOTE: Do not provide the serial number.

Did any updates (HP or Microsoft) take place prior to the issue resurfacing?

To confirm, the F12 key does not indicate the proper status of the wifi card when it is off but it still turns it on and off, correct?
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
catdogcord
Message 5 of 13 (21,770 Views)

I have a CG56 not sure if it's 100 or 200 though.

Yes this is correct,it is staying orange when it is off,it does however change when I turn offf the computer,it just won't indicate that the wireless assistant is actualy turned off...and it was after some updates from microsft!

It will turn off the assistant just won't change color :smileytongue:

I had fixed this before somehow but now I can not for the life of Me find where the solution was :/

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 6 of 13 (21,768 Views)

Try reviewing this document from HP as it should help in...

Try reviewing this document from HP as it should help in finding the full product name and the full product number. It may help to know what country the product was purchased in. The site is separated for each market, so knowing where to look will help locate the product.
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
catdogcord
Message 7 of 13 (21,760 Views)

Re: Try reviewing this document from HP as it should help in...

Man I just told you it's a CQ 56 and it shouldn't matter wieterh it a 200 or 100 both have simular workings!!! I have already looked this up! Just tell me where to go in the **bleep** thing to fix the freacking problem!!!I'm not trying to pull theeth here just get the button to change when I push it!!! :smileywink:Thanks!

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 8 of 13 (21,758 Views)

I am only trying to help.

a CQ56-100 is different from a CQ56-200 in terms of software and hardware.  A solution for a CQ56-100 typically does not work on a CQ56-200 due to these changes and vice versa.

I do not like to provide solutions that do not apply to that system as I see that a waste of time.

You may see me asking for the exact model as a waste of time, but I assure you more time has been wasted in trying non-applicable solutions through the course of troubleshooting.

Every company you contact will ask for the exact model and there is a reason for that.  

Signature
Top Student
catdogcord
Message 9 of 13 (21,756 Views)

Ok sorry about that! :smileywink:Product name: Presario CQ56 Notebook PC, Product number: XY871UA#ABA yet it still doesn't tell Me if it's a 100 or 200 series :smileysad:  I am running windows 7 Home Premium...if that 'll help you some :smileywink: sorry for the misunderstanding!

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 10 of 13 (21,749 Views)

<a href="http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=5048730&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us">Here>/a> is the support page for your notebook should you need it. It appears you have a model from the cq56-200 family.

There are a few things to check on the software side.

1. It looks like this has the Atheros wireless card. Try installing this driver.

2. Make sure your BIOS is the most recent. Here is a link should you need it.

3. Also, verify the newest software for Quick Launch is installed as it dplays a small role in this.

Let me know what happens.

Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation