dual band and/or bluetooth on hp dv7 7247cl? (949 Views)
Tutor
kikky
Message 1 of 10 (949 Views)
Accepted Solution

dual band and/or bluetooth on hp dv7 7247cl?

I had a similar post on the hardware forum and I dont know how to cancel or move it to here.   Sorry for the double post.

I just purchased a hp dv7 7247cl last night (win 8) and for some reason it was sluggish.  I assumed from my previous laptop (dv7 3067cl) this had dual band (2.4/5ghz).  In short I had to revert to my 2.4ghz and couldn't connect to my 5. 

Can anyone tell me if my model has dual band?  Also, I'm not sure if this has bluetooth and if so where do I go to turn it on?

I'm confused with moving around win 8 and trying to figure it out.  Thanks.  

I'm at work atm so the laptop isn't in front of me.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 10 (943 Views)

Re: dual band and/or bluetooth on hp dv7 7247cl?

[ Edited ]

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs page for your PC.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03482935&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en...

Next to the wireless connectivity line would be where you find what is included in your PC.

There is no bluetooth capability or bluetooth would be listed there.  Most likely the wireless is 2.4 GHz only as it is described as b/g/n.

A dual band card would be listed as a/b/g/n.

When you get to your PC, if you want to post the full model name and # of the wireless card in your PC, I will confirm that for you.

The card can be found listed in the device manager under the network adapters section.

I have provided a link to a very similar model to yours and as you can see next to the wireless connectivity line, this model has bluetooth.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03500164&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en...

Paul

Tutor
kikky
Message 3 of 10 (939 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I'll post it when I get home from work tonight. I was looking at the manual and noticed that I can get Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 which has dual and bluetooth. Would it be possible to place that instead (assuming what you say is correct).
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 10 (936 Views)

You're very welcome.

I'd like to tell you that would be possible, but I am sorry to say that it probably isn't.

The Intel 6230 is listed, but the part number is incorrect and no one on the forum or at HP knows what the correct part number is.

Changing a wireless card in a HP notebook is daunting to say the least.  You cannot just install any card as they normally cause the notebook to halt on boot as HP locks out any unsupported card in the BIOS.

You may have better luck getting one of the single band cards with bluetooth that are listed in the manual with a valid part number.

Enter the part number in the box at the link below and you can determine if the description you get matches what is listed in the manual.

http://h20141.www2.hp.com/Hpparts/Default.aspx?mscssid=0383D2D0CC3B40418E59E3B69771CAAD

Tutor
kikky
Message 5 of 10 (936 Views)

Thanks again for the reply. It's a:

Ralink RT5390R 802.11bgn WiFi Adapter

From the looks of it, you are correct. It's a single band. Honestly, I wanted dual band more than blue tooth. Too much traffic at my house w/2.4ghz.

Unfortunately I clicked on the adapter in the link you provided and so far nothing. After inputting my info that is.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 10 (921 Views)

You're very welcome.

Yes, that is just a single band card in your notebook.

Tutor
kikky
Message 7 of 10 (915 Views)

Thanks again. Hopefully soon there's some light to finding a compatible card. I might just buy an adapter for my house.
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 10 (904 Views)

You're most welcome.

I guess you could always do that. 

I just don't like things portruding from my notebook.

I'm always afraid I am going to break something.

Tutor
kikky
Message 9 of 10 (903 Views)

I know what you mean. Hence wanting a card. There is a compatible card I got from HP sales that has bluetooth but still only single band. So I'll wait a bit and see.
Student
LRWJ
Message 10 of 10 (710 Views)

I just spent two hours on the phone and remote access to my HP DV7 Envy with the ralink wlan card RT5390R. I had the same problems. I was informed that this card, although B/G/N is not true "N" in the sense that it will not acheive the max speed of 450 on my router (Cisco EA4500). They told me that it is "N" to the point that it will connect to and "N" router such as mine but that the best speed I can attain is 150mbps. It is also not Dual Band. 

I have an older Pavillion DV7 with a B/G/ Draft N that connects at 300 and is dual band. True the 150 is faster than the speed delivered by my cable company (50-60Mbps) but that is hardly the point. I thought I was getting a "N" not 1/2 "N".

The box and the display doesn't mention this. I think it is deceptive and not truthful. There is no mention of this limitation any were that I could find that was readilt visible at time of purchase. 

I am going to check with the store I bought it from to see if there is anything they can do. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation