Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi

My son has a HP Pavilion g6 laptop which operates Windows 8.1

All been working fine until yesterday when the orange light on the f12 button came on and laptop won't connect to the internet.  we can't turn this light off.

Any help would be most grateful

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

You have a couple of options as I see it please try these steps might help you to fix your issue.

1) Disconnect the Battery & Adapter then press & hold the power button on Notebook for 30 seconds then turn on the unit and check if the Wireless light turns on.

2) Go to Device manager then uninstall the wireless drivers from Network Adapter and restart the unit and check if the light turns on.

3) Please update the Bios & Wireless driver from HP website.

4) Click start in search type Recovery Manager then click on it select Yes on User access control then select I need immediate help then select Driver & application recovery select the wireless driver and install it then restart the unit.

5) If you are comfortable reseating the wireless card which will be on the back panel off your unit you could try this steps as well.

If still you have the same issue then you need to call HP Technical support and get the part replaced.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi

You have a couple of options as I see it please try these steps might help you to fix your issue.

1) Disconnect the Battery & Adapter then press & hold the power button on Notebook for 30 seconds then turn on the unit and check if the Wireless light turns on.

2) Go to Device manager then uninstall the wireless drivers from Network Adapter and restart the unit and check if the light turns on.

3) Please update the Bios & Wireless driver from HP website.

4) Click start in search type Recovery Manager then click on it select Yes on User access control then select I need immediate help then select Driver & application recovery select the wireless driver and install it then restart the unit.

5) If you are comfortable reseating the wireless card which will be on the back panel off your unit you could try this steps as well.

If still you have the same issue then you need to call HP Technical support and get the part replaced.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

Many thanks Manjunath

Uninstalling the wireless drivers from Network Adapter worked and we are now back online!

Great advice, thanks again.

HP Recommended

replacing a part may not be the answer....how about locating the internal electrical "switch" to turn wifi on.....

Altho my wifi switch remains off (steady-amber), i am connected to the internet via a "patch device" (D-link RangeBooster N USB Adapter dongle).....

I would still liketo turn ON the wifi via f12 key......and remove the dongle.....

Your comments are appreciated.

jrzippi

HP Recommended
Thank you thank you so much for the suggestions ManjunathTech!! The no. 4 suggestion works on my problem!!!! I'm so glad that it works. Thank you so much again 🙂
HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion g6 which is running Windows 8 (8.1) My computer suddenly won't connect to the internet wirelessly although it will if I attach it by ethernet wire to the modem/router. The little light that goes white when I am connected wirelessly is now orange and will not turn off. I have been reading up on what the problem/solution could be, but the instructions assume I know what they are referring to, or how I can find out the information about my computer they are asking for. For instance, you ask what is the exact product #? I have found a long number with capital letters at the end, but it calls it a product ID. #.  Mine is 00179-60322-67021-AAOEM Is that what you are asking for? Next question it asks in my Device Manager, what do you have listed under Network Adapters? All I see is Realtek PCIeFE Family Controller, so is that what they're asking for, or is mine missing altogether, which I have read elsewhere could be missing altogether, or what? 

HP Recommended

disconnect the adaptor? Dude, I've had a laptop since 2009 and I'll be damned if I know what you mean when you say adaptor. 

HP Recommended

The ac power adapter.... aka the power cord 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.