Question

Top Student
pfunari
Message 1 of 17 (9,598 Views)

how to hook up a printer to a wireless laptop

I have a new laptop which is wireless through a router.  Hoe do I connect the printer to it.  Does the printer have to be near the laptop.  Answer must be kept simple as my computer knowledge is limited.

Operating system Windows7

Printer HP Photosmart C6300 All-in-one

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 17 (9,594 Views)

Re: how to hook up a printer to a wireless laptop

Hi,

My suggestion is to hookup printer with the AP (Access Point). Just simply connect (wireless) printer with the router and run utility/driver (from the CD which comes with the printer) on your laptop to discover the printer and up we go.

No need put printer close to the AP, the distance is just like any normal PC/laptop.

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
pfunari
Message 3 of 17 (9,589 Views)

Sorry but what is an AP?  Does that mean the printer needs to connect to the router?  I just got the router as well and am clueless.

Provost
banhien
Message 4 of 17 (9,579 Views)

pfunari wrote:

Sorry but what is an AP?  Does that mean the printer needs to connect to the router?  I just got the router as well and am clueless.

Hi,

1. AP is Access Point (wireless router).

2. Yes, that's the way to go. You connect printer to a network where your laptop is.

In Printer setup, it should find your network, you have to enter passkey, security stuffs ... like normal setup for a PC/laptop. A CD should come with the printer. Use that CD to install driver and utilities on your laptop and it will find the printer (on same network) for you.

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Student
wonlim
Message 5 of 17 (9,404 Views)

pfunari wrote:

I have a new laptop which is wireless through a router.  Hoe do I connect the printer to it.  Does the printer have to be near the laptop.  Answer must be kept simple as my computer knowledge is limited.

Operating system Windows7

Printer HP Photosmart C6300 All-in-one

Student
lindeinfl
Message 6 of 17 (9,262 Views)

i have a officejet 6500 wireless and a new laptop and have misplaced the cd to hook up can i do it online?

Student
lejoi
Message 7 of 17 (8,306 Views)

how do i hook up a hp c4200 printer to my hp wireless laptop?

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 8 of 17 (8,080 Views)

@lejoi, can you give me the full model name and number of the printer that you have. There are several c4200 models with different specs. 

Once you give me the model name I can provide you with the steps on how to connect wireless if the printer has that capability. 

I look forward to your response. 

THX

Student
mimi76
Message 9 of 17 (7,143 Views)

Hi, I am having the same issue.  How do I connect my laptop to my hp printer.  Model HP deskjet 1055 all in one J410 series.  Windows 7.  I am a bit challenged in the computer/tech depart.  Thank you in advance for any help you can provide

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 10 of 17 (7,133 Views)

@mimi76, you should be able to connect the printer USB first, and then go back into the software and there will be an option to convert "USB to Wireless"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation