Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, 

I just had same problem and got resolution.

All i did was to download HP wireless assistant, with this I could see when my WLAN was turned on but the indicator still orange. After this all I di was to right click on the wireless icon on the bottom right part of the screen i.e close to battery and time icon, I right clicked on it and selected trouble shoot option, followed the necessary checks and orange light changed. Now  I am using my wireless.

I never tried touble shooting before intallation of the assistant though, but you can also try that. It just might work.

HP Recommended

1st - installed compatible wireless drivers

download

http://laptop-driver.blogspot.com/2012/02/compaq-620-windows-7-driver.html

2nd -Install hp wireless assitance.

by using this you can turn on the wireless

download from

ftp://15.192.45.21/pub/softpaq/sp44501-45000/sp44700.exe

HP Recommended

The end of Wifi problems on Hp620 has come!!
All you need to do now is to call [edited Serial Number by Moderator] if you want to trash the issue.

HP Recommended

thanks dude this really works 

HP Recommended

Hi @Mrpope ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I needed to edit your post and remove the Serial Number. From our Rules of Participation:

Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. Don't post contact or other personal information-your own or anyone else's-or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author's consent. For example, don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publicly, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer.

If you need people to contact you directly, either ask them to send you a private message or subscribe to the thread so you will be notified when there are replies. You may also click on your name anywhere in the forum and you will be taken to your profile page, where you can find a list of threads you have participated in.

Sharing personal email addresses, telephone numbers, and last names is not allowed for your safety. If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message in reply.

Thank you
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Followed your directions however it didn't work. I went back to the radio on/off and it was disabled again. Did it 5 times and each time I went back it said disabled.  Wierd.

Time to get a new computer. I have no data on this computer it is all on external harddrive. However, my internal harddrive is maxed, I delete temp files etc and un used programs only save data on external hardrive but can't get it to stop maxing, even if I get it to having about 5gb free space I can be doing nothing on the computer but by the end of the day I get back to the computer and it is maxed again. Some wierd back of computer stuff happening that just keeps filling up space. If there are no programs open and it is just sitting dormant this shouldn't be happening. Time for a new brand. My first HP not impressed.

HP Recommended
I've seen that problem once or twice. It was a log file for a HP application that went berserk and ate all the space. I managed to locate the file by right-clicking > properties on each folder until I found one that was extermely large, and continuing down until Insaw the exact folder of the application. Try that, then uninstall the app. Should give you your harddrive back 🙂

Also for the wifi problem, I've disco ered a new tactic that works even better. Just go into the device manager and expand network cards, then delete all of them. Mark > DEL or right-click > uninstall. After that hit F5 or click the "check for new hardware" button at the top. Windows will find the cards again and reinstall them with the same driver. This works every time for me at least.

This laptop is a low-end one. It'll never be a great computer, but trust me - all manufacturers compete in that segment and one is worse than the other. You have to spend a little more to get a nice computer, that's my experience after 15 years of pc service. After all, you get what you pay for.

When looking at laptops like HP Spectre, Elitebook and Folio, HP makes really really great computers. Bit the best thing is really their warranty terms. If you have a problem, it'll take them a week return time max, and your computer is fixed. With other manufacturers I've waited as long as 3-4 weeks. Completely useless.
HP Recommended
Moderator, you just deleted a phone number to HP, not a serial number 🙂
HP Recommended

Here is the quick and easy fix....

Hold the right mouse / track -pad button down while pressing the wifi button!

That's it!  assuming that the wireless card is installed correctly, and functioning..

It has nothing to do with drivers... I ran into this yesterday, and figured it out this am after i did the drivers, and tried another wifi card (internal, same one, from another 620.)

So now it turned on.

FYI, the other card did not turn on until I did this as well....

[edited personal information by moderator]

HP Recommended

First of all , I want to thank everyone about help troubleshoot this issue. 

What worked for me is, I had ubuntu bootable usb stick. I boot the system with it, and I was able to turn on the wireless switch when I was on ubuntu desktop. 

Then I restarted the computer and log back into windows 7, and now wireless switch works. 

it is crazy..

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.