Question

Honor Student
aliyah888777
Message 1 of 6 (3,718 Views)

hp connection manager fatal error 80070422

I am using an HP Pavilion g4-1104dx Notebook PC with Windows 7 64-bit. I had been doing maintenance with SystemMechanic version 11. I had turned off several unnecessary start-up items (virtually no impact per SystMech) and when I exited I got the following message: "hpConnectionManager.exe - Fatal Error"  HP Connection Manager not responding. Exit and restart the application. A fatal error occurred, check the HP Connection Manager in Event Viewer for more details. Retrieving the COM Class factory for component with CLSID {24DB46C8-C842-4E91-9AC4-8A9525A555ID} failed due to the following error: 80070422. I am pretty computer-illerate, I don't how to exit and restart the application or even where to find the application. I tried to view the Event Viewer and couldn't figure out how to read that either. My HP Support Assistant is only semi-functional and I have no idea what to do or how serious this is. Can anyone help?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 6 (3,712 Views)

Re: hp connection manager fatal error 80070422

Hi,

It looks like SystemMechanic has deleted some registry key(s) that should not have been removed, so the easiest way to solve this may be to run Windows System Restore as follows.

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f8 as you start the notebook to enter Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit enter.  When this has loaded, from the Start Menu, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and launch System Restore.  Pick a restore point before at least 24 hours before you ran SystemMechanic and then proceed with the restore process.  When complete, Windows will reboot as normal.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
aliyah888777
Message 3 of 6 (3,680 Views)

D-PK,

Thank u so much for ur reply! I'm sure it will solve the problem and u explained it very simply, I'm just a very nervous pc-user and have little experience so this fix will be a little scary. I'm going to try to find someone with experience who can watch n walk me thru it. Can u tell me how serious this problem is, if I'm risking anything by waiting, and what could happen to the pc if it is serious? Thank u again.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 6 (3,676 Views)

Hi,

You're welcome :smileyhappy:

To start with, it's certainly not a serious problem and waiting will cause no problem. 

HP Connection Manager just assists you to manage your network connections and to control your network devices, it is not a required application and Windows will function perfectly well if it wasn't installed.

One thing I would suggest is that generally speaking, checking the Registry for errors ( and deleting the errors found ) can often lead to problems.  Unless you have a problem that you know is specifically related to corrupt registry entries, there really is no need to use this sort of application.  The registry is a comparitively small file - minor errors and redundant entries very seldom cause problems whereas removing a legitimate entry by mistake can cause a lot of problems.

Best regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
Tom37
Message 5 of 6 (2,327 Views)

Hi 

I have this same problem. I understand the system restore will fix this. However i'd like to know if that would mean i loose all programs installed after the restore point was set?

Thanks

Tom

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 6 of 6 (2,319 Views)

Hello Tom37,

You want to know if the programs will be deleted.

It is possible that they will be deleted; only the programs that were installed after the restore point.

When you start the restore there is an option that is in blue that says scan for affected programs.

This will tell you’re which programs may be removed.

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation