hp pavilion dm4 (583 Views)
Top Student
jmewme
Message 1 of 13 (583 Views)
Accepted Solution

hp pavilion dm4

2070 us laptop pc keeps dropping wireless signal. This has been going on for months! Help please...

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 13 (576 Views)

Re: hp pavilion dm4

Hi:

What model wireless card do you have installed in your notebook?

if you don't know, you can find it listed under network adapters in the device manager.

What operating system are you running?  Perhaps a network card driver update will help.

Paul

Top Student
jmewme
Message 3 of 13 (575 Views)

Let's see, under Network Adapters I have listed: Atheros AR 8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20), 

Intel (R) Wifi Link 1000 BGN, Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter, Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter #2. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 13 (571 Views)

Hi:

See if the latest Intel driver (for the WifiLink 1000) helps.

The notebook specs state you have W7 64 bit...You will want the second file download listed (driver only).

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21143&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%...

Paul

Top Student
jmewme
Message 5 of 13 (569 Views)

Thanks. I did that and restarted, but it hasn't made any difference. Oh dear... 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 13 (567 Views)

Hi:

Sorry that didn't work.

Does the notebook just do this at your house or everywhere (if you ever take it out)?

Sometimes I find that changing the router's broadcast channel helps with connections on some wireless cards.

You may want to try changing the router's broadcast channel to 1 or 11 to see if that makes a difference. Sometimes there is interference from other routers in the neighborhood all broadcasting on the same channel.

You will need to visit your router manufacturer's website to see how to access the router's configuration menu to change the wireless broadcast channel.

Also there are advanced settings for the network card in the device manager.

See this helpful guide below.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025393.htm

Settings you should look for:

If it has a WMM setting, make sure it is set to Enabled.

If it has a Roaming Aggressiveness setting set that to Lowest.

Make sure the transmit power is set to HIghest.

Paul

Top Student
jmewme
Message 7 of 13 (566 Views)

Hmm, I have never tried using my laptop anywhere else so I can't say if it would act differently. That would be a good idea to try though, thanks. 

However, I do know that other internet-connected devices don't have that problem. Other laptops and my smartphone never drop their wireless connection which is why I didn't think it could be my router. I am still going to try changing the broadcast channel anyway, thanks. 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 13 (564 Views)

You're very welcome.

Sometimes the channel change will work for all the devices.

It's like allergies. Some cards are fine with things the way they are, and some are very sensitive on certain settings.

Did you look for those advanced settings in the device manager?

Changing the roaming setting helps because that keeps the card from trying to look for a better signal.

Top Student
jmewme
Message 9 of 13 (563 Views)

Yes, I changed the advanced settings in the device manager to the ones you said. :smileyhappy:

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 10 of 13 (561 Views)

OK, then it is up to the channel change.

If that doesn't help trying a few different channels, then I'm afraid I don't have any other ideas you can try.

Best Regards,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation