Question

Top Student
bentrader
Message 1 of 11 (232 Views)

hp6980 printer not talking to router

I had to replace my modem and router, went from DSL to cable.  In the proccess my router got unreliable so replaced with Linksys N300.  Problem: I cannot get router to see printer through network cable or wireless, I can still print USB.  I tried another router but it could not see my HP6980 either.  I get a green network light on the front of priter when either net cable pluged in but modem can't find printer.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled printer software twiced.  How do I check to see if my network port is bad?

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 2 of 11 (206 Views)

Re: hp6980 printer not talking to router

I will do my best to help because there is very little support for a Deskjet of this capacity.  To answer the question, "How do I check to see if my network port is bad?"  Do you mean on the computer, router, or printer?  I will be more than happy to help you but I also need to know what kind of computer you are using (Windows 7, Windows XP, or a MacBook Pro for example)?  I say try to print a network configuration if you are referring to the printer.  If you see available networks then you know it is working. However, I will have to do more research to find out exactly how to print that.

Here is where I will be looking for a document to suite you.  You may find what you need here or answer these questions for me and I will try to help you as well.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Top Student
bentrader
Message 3 of 11 (186 Views)

I have made some progress since I first posted.  I am running  xp on my desktop.  I have been able to ping the printer ip  address from computer through router to printer.  I also got the wireless to turn on and stay on, on the printer with the front panel switches.  I still am not able to get the linksys n300 router software to set up wireless printer, allways returns "printer not found".  I know there is some communication going on but not able to talk to it in order to set it up.   Hope this helps.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 4 of 11 (180 Views)

[ Edited ]

Try this step then: I want you to try to install a network printer and when it does not find it, let me know if you see a place to enter the printer's IP address during the installation process.  If you do not see it or you do not know your IP address, then I want you to print the network configuration page.  The front panel guide I have suggests pressing the network button to print that out.  Now look on there for an IP Address.  What is the printer's IP address?  A valid one would either begin with 192. or 10.  Otherwise an invalid one would start with 169.  Let me know what happens when you try to install it now that you know the printer's IP address.

Besides the printer's IP address, I would also like to know the means you are using to connect it to the router - ethernet or wireless?

If the install still can not find the printer then here is a generic document about not being able to find a wireless printer using XP.  I want you to start at Step Seven but it is quite extensive so if you have any questions, then ask me and wait til I reply before you get too far into it if you are afraid of messing anything up.  I am here for you and hopefully this is the last step before you are back up and printing again.  Let me know how it goes!

Top Student
bentrader
Message 5 of 11 (165 Views)

I tried the linksys router software again this morning and for the first time it connected to the printer.  The thing is to get the blue wireless light on the front of printer to come on, I have to dissconnect the network cable and press the button twice as directed and when I reconnect the cable the light goes out.  At the back where I plug in the network cable, I have the solid green light and the blinking yellow light, whic should be normal.  I have been able to set up the network where I can print from laptop through my home computer to the printer using the usb cable.  This will get me by but would like to be able to print directly to the printer from laptop when desk top computer is not on.  I know I am going through router and desktop computer because blue wireless light is not lit when printing.

Top Student
bentrader
Message 6 of 11 (161 Views)

Update:    I turned off my computer and was able to print from laptop, but the blue wireless light on front of printer was not on.  I must be going through router net.  Still cannot get desktop to print through network, only USB.  This may not be setup properly but will work for now.  

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 7 of 11 (141 Views)

Like you said, "it works for now," but I would like to take some time and really visualize your set up.  It is working so I do not want to give you any advice that could cause us to back-track.  If at any point you are done working on it just let me know but I am happy to help.  It may take me some time to really think about this without being there but thank you for your patience.

Top Student
bentrader
Message 8 of 11 (136 Views)

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.  Everything is in a mess from all the change overs I have been doing lately I am going to take a short break and try to make sure my phone and internet is working ok, then I may tackle this again.  I would like to be able to print through my network port and not have to use the extra USB cable, also my wireless light will not stay on my printer.  Like I said it all works, desk top through USB and lap top through wireless router.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 9 of 11 (134 Views)

I have subscribed to receive alerts from you via email so when you are ready to tackle this again I am more than happy to help! Just take your time and enjoy the weather. The printer will be there for rainy days. :smileyhappy:

Top Student
bentrader
Message 10 of 11 (122 Views)

Thanks, I can print for now from desktop with the added usb cable and print from laptop through wireless modem.  I have a nephew out of town thats in I.T. , I think I will wait till he is in town and let him set everything up again.   I really appreciate all your help and willingness to stick with me on this.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation