Question

Honor Student
robinwendy
Message 1 of 26 (44,542 Views)

printer offline

the wireless light is lit on printer and it is on but my laptop says it's offline - tried to fix but there's a something in queue I can't delete...may be causing the problem(??!!)
Provost
erico
Message 2 of 26 (44,501 Views)

Re: printer offline

[ Edited ]

What is your OS?

What Router are you using?

What is the model name od your wireless printer?

What is the model name of your laptop?

Had you already successfully connected to the printer and this problem only recently happened?

If so, had you considered rolling back to a Windows Restore point to a date when everything worked?  That would save the hassle of reconfiguring the setup.

Does your wireless router see the printer as connected to your home network?

Look at your Router's connected device page and get the network address of the printer. Try a ping comand to the address from your laptop.

Message Edited by erico on 02-14-2009 03:23 AM

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
robinwendy
Message 3 of 26 (44,481 Views)

I hope this goes to the reply section....

my wireless laptop is hp pavilion dv5 running vista (64 bit)  with all-in-one wireless printer J6480

router is  wireless, linksys i/c/w  comcast modem set up on the home dell computer

this is a new problem.  The printer is recognizing my ip - as per hp support - i was on with them for 1 hour +  to no avail... and the suggestion was to uninstall and reinstall .   At that point my main problem was trying to delete a job in the queue that says

deleting - printing     6/2    (page 2 of 6?)   maybe it was interrupted during printing. at any rate i am not sure if that job is holding up or preventing my other docs from printing.  hope i answered enough of your questions.    Thanks for responding!!

the offline part I guess is because I have a series of printers, wireless at home, personal at my office desk I plug into the laptop and the office network super duper printer.    thing is until this i never had to do more than select the printer i wanted each time i printed something, switching back and forth for days without seeing the 'OFFLINE' box and message.

sorry this is long...,

now that i think about it I started with calling on my personal office lexmark printer which would only print 1 of 2 pages ever   or 1 of 3  and blank emails when someone pasted in a flyer of some sort.   their support had me download a multipage fix (which worked) but the job i cant delete from the queue was there when they walked me through the install.  It was after that when I got home that the trouble here started. 

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 26 (44,464 Views)

[ Edited ]

For the print queue problem. go to a command prompt and type net stop spooler or net start spooler to start and stop the service. Go to C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\PRINTERS. Delete all the files in this folder. That will clear everything in the print queue.

I would consider rolling back to before the fix. Then installing the fix after you make sure by following the above procedure that there is nothing in the print queue. Going backto a windows restore point will not delete any of your documents...so this is basic troubleshooting and isolation of issues.

When you run a program that requires administrative priveleges ... elevate the permission s by right-clicking on the executable and selecting runas... Run it as an administrator. It will always save you a lot of "cannot access xxxx" grief.

Message Edited by erico on 02-15-2009 12:53 PM

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
dee217
Message 5 of 26 (41,033 Views)

What do you mean by windows restore point?

Honor Student
Jeanneane
Message 6 of 26 (37,209 Views)

My wireless printer Photosmart c4780 printer went offline after it has been working well for two months.  I have plugged and unplugger the router, HP computer, and printer, rechecked the printer to make sure it was chosen. I have Vista on my computer.  It pretends to be printing for a few minutes and then says it is offline.  Help please.

Honor Student
shiggs
Message 7 of 26 (31,058 Views)

HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer   I have been using my printer more than a year.  About 3 weeks ago the printer ceased printing Word and web documents.

The constant error message was that the printer was offline.  I have deleted the software and reloaded it twice.  The "test page" prints fine after each re-installation.  But when I try to print a regular document, I get the "printer offline" error message".

Thanks.

Shiggs

Top Student
Pacmansbones
Message 8 of 26 (30,931 Views)

Wow HP should Pay me 100,000 for this fix. The reason why wireless users are getting these offline messages is because the Hp printer assumes you have your macbook plugged into the printer. When you get the print screen just look at which HP printer it has selected to print to. If it has the plug logo next to it, it will give you the offline message when you try to print. You have to actively select the printer without the plug logo next to it!! It's that simple problem fixed!! But you also have to make sure your connected to the same User ID as the printer was selected on also, that will help.

Honor Student
AstecSol
Message 9 of 26 (26,566 Views)

Try to  DISABLE SNMP from the webpage. Cleared up 2 printers that kept going offline for me.

http://printeripaddress

select the NETWORKING tab

click SNMP on the left hand side

click Disable SNMPv1

click Apply

Student
DudeGirl1
Message 10 of 26 (26,344 Views)

that worked -- well, got me one step closer...

--> says connecting to printer...

--> then says printing 1% complete

--> then says Unable to connect to printer, will retry in 30 seconds...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation